With water temps still low, I have read that most the bass will stay out in deeper waters?
Are you guys with boats finding this to be true?

I fish with my 2 boys, from shore still. We had 20 shiners yesterday in the andover area and only caught 1 bass!

Were casting from shore.

Any info would be appreciated.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:39 am

There are always fish both out deeper and up shallow. Prespawn imo is tough for shiner fishermen from shore. The fish that are out deeper are pretty stationary. They are not moving around much untill they come in shallow to spawn and the fish that are shallow are VERY shallow and usually in and around cover. Shore guys are stuck in one or 2 locations and if the fish are not set up there..... it's tough. Once the spawn is over, fish move into summer feeding patterns and roam more in search of food. That's when shiner guys can take advantage and put some great fish in their hands.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks man! Appreciate the info!

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I was out today for a few hours in the canoe and I caught all three of my fish (2 bass, 1 pickerel) in about 2ish feet of water around thick cover. They were hanging out in the sunny areas of shore around thick brush and branches.

My buddy caught 2 bass as well and were caught in the same type of area.

P.S. the whacky-worm rigged senko out did EVERY other lure we threw including jerks, jigs, spinners, and texas rigged worms.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 pm

it depends on the place and water temperature, weather etc.

i was on the cape today at place with some 30' water. the fish were up in the 10' range earlier then slid off the first major drop off as the day went on and the clouds rolled in. the sun came up and they were up shallower again. i think it got up to 51 degrees eventually.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:30 pm

I threw a prop bait today and caught a couple...not very big but it was still fun

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 pm

senkos were the one thing I didn't bust out today, for some reason I convinced myself it was too early somehow . . . dumb, now I'm reading all over the place about how wacky rigging em is great for pre-spawn

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 pm

lowellite

With water temps still low, I have read that most the bass will stay out in deeper waters?
Are you guys with boats finding this to be true?

I fish with my 2 boys, from shore still. We had 20 shiners yesterday in the andover area and only caught 1 bass!

Were casting from shore.

Any info would be appreciated.

If you are in Andover area then look for the little township of Ballardvale. There is a railroad track line that runs around a great oxbow area of the shawsheen river. If you find the mill, just take a right and follow road until a railroad crossing. Drive in on the right side and you will see a railroad bridge about 1/4 mile down. Pull WAY OFF to the side in the turnout. Anywhere you can climb down the embankment there will be great bass and pickeral this early in the year. Has been every year since 1991 when I started hitting it. A kayak or canoe really would help.

Map:

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Regarding oxbow, can we fish from shore?

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 am

Thanks Grey. Really appreciate the map. I like the Shawsheen if you only have a couple hours or so (close to home), so I will definitely have to take a drive by and see if I can figure it out

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:06 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links