Hey guys,

Been lurking on here for a week or two reading trip reports and the like and thought I'd say hello and pose a question.

Originally from Florida and despite growing up on a lake in central FL I've mostly fished saltwater, but I've been in NE for ten years and last year started going after freshwater bass, first because of its accessibility but soon realized how much more challenging it can be than saltwater fishing, by which I mean, you have to work a lot harder to catch a lot smaller fish, and a lot less of them. But I also like the peacefulness of inland fishing. I could go on about the differences but I'll leave that for another discussion.

I come seeking advice because I'm looking to take a day trip outside the city. I've done my best with bass, actually, on the Charles in Cambridge (close to where I live), and on Jamaica Pond (close to where I work). I have a car and want to drive far enough to feel I'm reasonably away from civilization, and especially from kids and families, so more than likely outside the 128 corridor, if not outside 495. But there are less and less fishing reports the farther afield you go.

I'm looking to drive 90 minutes or less (so Quabbin is out, for now). I'm fishing entirely from shore, and all I care about are the bass (for now). I don't mind parking and hiking a couple miles if it gets me to a cool place.

Thanks! Hope to be around here for a while and put in some reports of my own soon.

Posted Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm

plymouth area has tons of great ponds.

Posted Tue May 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Wachusett reservoir! Awesome shore fishing and beautiful -- you feel very far away from civilization for sure ... And only an hour from Cambridge. Try the Clinton side' there are lots of gates to park at

Posted Sun May 11, 2014 9:12 am

Welcome aboard! Very Happy

Posted Sun May 11, 2014 9:42 am

For shore fishing I would go to Spot Pond in Medford. You can only shore fishing unless you want to pay $30 and hour for a row boat. Place can be brutally tough. I probably only get a bite maybe half the time, but its a big fish lake. If you put in the time there you will be rewarded.

If your near Cambridge look into a Charles River Kayak season pass. Its been a couple years but its not that expensive compared to other rentals and there is 5 different places on the river you can get a yak.

Posted Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links