Does anyone know when the spring trout stocking is slated to begin? The MA Fish & Game website isn't updated yet. Don't know if maybe one of you guys has some insider info Wink

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I actually was wondering the samething so I emailed them. The lady that got right back to me said as soon as water opens up. She also said they will update the website as soon a the stocking begins.

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Fridays the schedule is updated ..They post what was stocked that week .....

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm

This was just posted on the MA Stocking page:

Close to 500,000 brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout will be stocked this spring. Due to the delayed spring thaw, trout stocking likely will not begin until the last week of March or the first week in April, beginning with the Cape area and then moving westward as the ice and snow melts.

2014 spring trout facts:

41% of the fish average over 14 inches
71% of the fish average over 12 inches
195,000 rainbows will average over 14 inches
71,000 rainbows will average over 12 inches
12,000 rainbows will average between 9 and 12 inches
500 brown trout will be over 18 inches
43,000 brown trout will average over 12 inches
81,000 brown trout average between 9 and 12 inches
1250 brook trout will average over 15 inches
31,200 brook trout will average over 12 inches
38200 brook trout between 9 and 12 inches
10,000 brook trout between 6 and 9 inches
4700 tiger trout that will average over 14 inches

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm

1 more day...

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 am

Just read the socking will be delayed 1week due to Ice ..

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 pm

I don't know if anyone noticed this or not but around Tuesday the stocking page for the central district was updated. It seems to be the only one that has been updated so far but it looks like stocking has started.

Trout Stocking Schedule - Central District

Edit: I wonder if they accidentally pushed the central district page early since it was updated early in the week and not on Friday.
Stocking reports are updated each Friday to note what water bodies were planned for stocking in the previous week.

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 am

Yeah I just saw that. They stocked the South East District too. Hopefully after this weekend of 50 degree weather and a ton of rain the trucks will be back on schedule.

I had been fishing Hopedale, Louisa, and Pratt (all of which still have over 8'' of ice right now) for close to 4 weeks this time last year hahah

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Town
Stocked Waters (Week of March 31, 2014)

Ashland
Ashland Reservoir

Boston
Jamaica Pond

Framingham
Lake Cochituate

Franklin
Uncas Pond

Hopkinton
Hopkinton Reservoir, Whitehall Reservoir

Methuen
Forest Lake

Milton
Houghton’s Pond

Natick
Lake Cochituate, Dug Pond

Wilmington
Silver Lake

Wrentham
Lake Pearl

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:41 am

[quote="themasterg"]Does anyone know when the spring trout stocking is slated to begin? The MA Fish & Game website isn't updated yet. Don't know if maybe one of you guys has some insider info Wink[/quote
Code:
 I believe the 2 and week of April should be stoked in western district

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Any tips on catching these from shore?

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Power eggs the easiest way.tie a leader about a ft to 14in long and put a sliding sinker above barrel swivel. U want eggs to float above weeds n foot off bottom. U can also use mini marshmallows with a grub(wax worm) same set up. Small spoons bounced off bottom. Small kastmasters mepps spinners n rooster tails also do the trick. Good luck!

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks ill definently try it

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:38 pm

White,chartruese,yellow, and pink work best for me. I have had a lot of luck with white lately. Meal worms n mini marsmallows have caught me some big bows in the past.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 pm

I have my best luck 1 week after they are stocked with meal worms and a bober. Simple set up, they'll hit it faster than power bait and catch you big ones. I got a 2+ lbs last fall.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:57 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links