What do you guys use for catching trout? I am looking to primarily fish at wachusett and fish off the bottom. Also tossing some kastmasters or other lures as well. Im mainly looking for a line that will allow me to cast far and be able to sustain 0.5 oz-1 oz weight on it. Is braided the way to go? or mono?

If there is a sticky on this, please send me a link. I didnt see one.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm

fishinjones

What do you guys use for catching trout? I am looking to primarily fish at wachusett and fish off the bottom. Also tossing some kastmasters or other lures as well. Im mainly looking for a line that will allow me to cast far and be able to sustain 0.5 oz-1 oz weight on it. Is braided the way to go? or mono?

If there is a sticky on this, please send me a link. I didnt see one.

I use 15 or 20 lb braid. I have about a 2' leader of Seaguar Invisix Flouro. I use 12lb for a casting leader because I've snapped off 1 oz jigs & spoons on a cast with lighter fluoro. I also use 12lb for a leader when I'm live lining shiners. I don't go lighter because there's always the chance of getting a 15lb or bigger laker. I don't want to lose a personal best fish because I had an 8lb leader.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm

zak_fishes

I use 15 or 20 lb braid. I have about a 2' leader of Seaguar Invisix Flouro. I use 12lb for a casting leader because I've snapped off 1 oz jigs & spoons on a cast with lighter fluoro. I also use 12lb for a leader when I'm live lining shiners. I don't go lighter because there's always the chance of getting a 15lb or bigger laker. I don't want to lose a personal best fish because I had an 8lb leader.

Thanks for the response. I usually use 6 lb line and i wasnt sure if i should go heavier. I will definitely try some heavier line for tossing those heavy lures and weights out there.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:12 pm

[quote="fishinjones"]
zak_fishes

Thanks for the response. I usually use 6 lb line and i wasnt sure if i should go heavier. I will definitely try some heavier line for tossing those heavy lures and weights out there.

12, 15 or 18 lb lakers are caught at wachusetts every year. it would suck to lose a big fish when using very light line.

Also, when you're bouncing jigs & spoons off the bottom you're going to get snagged once in a while. it's a lot easier to pull a 1oz lure out of some rocks or weeds with the stronger line. 6lb would snap off pretty easily.

12 lb seaguar or any other good fluoro is still pretty small in diameter for leader use.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm

zak_fishes

12, 15 or 18 lb lakers are caught at wachusetts every year. it would suck to lose a big fish using very light line.

Also, when you're bouncing jigs & spoons off the bottom you're going to get snagged once in a while. it's a lot easier to pull a 1oz lure out of some rocks or weeds with the stronger line. 6lb would snap off pretty easily.

12 lb seaguar or any other good fluoro is still pretty small in diameter for leader use.

Ok i want to make sure i have the right setup for live lining a shiner. Take the line and feed it thru a weight. Then tie it to a barrel swivel and then tie an 18"-24" piece of leader line to the swivel and then to a hook. Is that correct?

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

[quote="fishinjones"]
zak_fishes

Ok i want to make sure i have the right setup for live lining a shiner. Take the line and feed it thru a weight. Then tie it to a barrel swivel and then tie an 18"-24" piece of leader line to the swivel and then to a hook. Is that correct?

Yes, I use a palomar knot to tie a swivel to the end of my braid. I slip on a 1/2 oz or 1 oz slip sinker onto the braid before attaching the swivel. I use at least a 2' long leader of flouro. I use a snell knot to tie the hook to the flouro leader.

Personally I prefer the 1 oz sinker so I can get the shiner out a little closer to a drop off. Others might prefer a 1/2 oz. Trial and error will let you know what you like.

It'll look something like this.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 pm

zak_fishes

Yes, I use a palomar knot to tie a swivel to the end of my braid. I slip on a 1/2 oz or 1 oz slip sinker onto the braid before attaching the swivel. I use at least a 2' long leader of flouro. I use a snell knot to tie the hook to the flouro leader.

Personally I prefer the 1 oz sinker so I can get the shiner out a little closer to a drop off. Others might prefer a 1/2 oz. Trial and error will let you know what you like.

It'll look something like this.

ok awesome thanks! Thats what I thought it was supposed to look like but i just wanted to make sure. What size hooks do you use for lakers? I use 6s and 8s (i believe) for rainbows and smaller trout at the smaller pond near my house.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links