I want to pickup a couple more jerkbaits for spring fishing, mostly for bass, but I thought I would see if I could get a Wachusetts laker to bite one.

What are your favorite jerkbaits (brand, model, weight and pattern)?

Cheers,
Patrick

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Disclaimer: Suspendots are illegal weights in mass due to the lead ban

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Lucky craft pointer 100 natural bream (sunfish) and shad colors, lucky stike has a good one for short money, also the kvd strike king 200 and 300 are 7.99 at dicks. As Sam says match the forage for colors !!

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm

i have too many colors. if i could go back i would have just gotten ghost minnow and a darker color like aurora perch or bluegill.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:38 pm

I love Rapalas. Husky Jerks have for to be my favorite lure of all time. It will catch any species of fish...almost, they are in any store whether its Walmart, dicks, bass pro, etc. I have caught many species from bass, stocker trout and salmon, brook trout and pickerel.
I have never tried the spro or lucky craft because they are a bit pricey and I'd have a meltdown if I lost a 15 dollar lure to a snag.

I caught my first smallmouth April 2012 at Putnam ville on a gold husky jerk.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 am

so far i've only lost a few lucky craft jerkbaits. to pickerel of course.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 am

I really like the Duo Realis 100's so far this year. They've been producing and the color pattern hasn't made a difference.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:03 am

Unfortunately, Luckycraft and SPRO and Duo Realis are a little bit beyond my price range. I can't justify spending that much on a lure. Especially when I leave so many on the bottom, and in the trees.

Rapalas are usually my upper end baits. In my experience, the VMC hooks are good and they run true out of the box.

I will most likely pick up some Husky Jerks in perch and fire tiger patterns. Maybe some minnow/shiner patterns also. Thanks for the advice about matching the hatch. I guess that's why the baits I have in perch and bluegill patterns are usually the most productive.

I'm surprised no one mention Smithwick Rouges.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. As always you are a helpful lot of people.

Cheers,
Patrick

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 am

I own Rapala X-Raps (XR-10) and Suspending Rogues. I was alternating between the 2 last week, and would give the nod to the X-Rap. The Rogue would slowly rise up, while the X-Rap held it's ground, suspending perfectly. I know water temperature can affect the ability to suspend, but these were fished in the same water. The X-Rap also casts like a missile. Not a huge fan of the hooks on the X-Rap though, seem a bit weak.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:01 pm

you can always put on bigger hooks and split rings if you don't want to use suspendots.

i have 2 spro in the same size, same size hooks, same everything but one barely rises and the other rises faster. go figure. i learned quickly that it's important to modify the baits to get them to suspend.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:13 pm

I've always used CC Redfins . . . just a preference. Who wouldn't love Lucky Strike Pointers . . . too expensive!

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Being cheap I picked up some perch pattern husky jerks at Dick's yesterday. They are running a 20%-off sale on Rapala lures.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Have a larger X-Rap 12 that is my favorite so far.

Like a poster above said, it suspends perfectly motionless, and you can rip it a mile.

Edit: It's this one in a shad-like/alewife coloration

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links