Anyone know the best way to catch trout at waldon pond?

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Power bait eggs or meal worm grub with marshmallow.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Do you only use bait?
You can fish trout with spoons,in-line spinners, small jigs, small crankbaits, jerkbaits,or flies.
Let the wheather decide lure choice. Windy days an inline spinners should attract attention. Lure color, I know what I use on sunny days and my color of choice on cloudy days.
It's all trial and error. Trust me, a lure that worked today may not get a look tomorrow.
Good luck

Posted Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Trout have very good eye sight use 4 to 6 pound line test or you can use braid 10 pound test, and they seem to want to grab easy meals like fish eggs, flies on top of water, dying bait fish. Not to say inline spinners and jigs dont work because they do. Its just if your fishing from shore those two baits are best especially from shore and you can only cast so far and trout are a cold water species so like the deeper water and they come in shallow in search of easy meals like mentioned above.

Posted Sat May 31, 2014 6:13 am

I've tried some small in-line spinners there. There seems to be a lot of branches/logs in Walden Pond. I lost a few spinners that got stuck. Anyone else have this problem there?

I also tried some small crank baits. Caught a couple small yellow perch and a LM but no trout.

Posted Sat May 31, 2014 8:42 am

dangermouse

I've tried some small in-line spinners there. There seems to be a lot of branches/logs in Walden Pond. I lost a few spinners that got stuck. Anyone else have this problem there?

I also tried some small crank baits. Caught a couple small yellow perch and a LM but no trout.

The in-line spinners are a reaction bait, when fishing them you need to experiment with different depths, colors, sizes and speed. When I'm fishing spinners or spoons I start off fishing fast just under the surface, and work my way down to the bottom. Never dragging the bait along the bottom.
One way to check depth is cast out the lure and count how many seconds the lure takes to reach the bottom. If the water is 10' deep the lure depending on weight will take about 10 seconds. Now you can cast and count the lure down to depth you want to fish. Try alls depths and keep your eyes open for rising fish.
Walden has some large trout and the water is very deep so you can use spoons and spinners up to a 1/2 oz., the problem with heavy lures is the trout jump and use the weight to throw the hooks. Try to keep rod tip down to keep fish from jumping.
Best of luck, Tight lines...
Best Good Luck, Tight lines

Posted Sat May 31, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for the great info John!

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:38 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links