I just am getting back in to bass fishing after ditching saltwater fishing due to logistics and cost. I am shore bound now , hope to have a boat soon. How to I start getting involved in tournaments being a co-angler in the back of a boat.

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Step one: Find a guy with a boat that needs a partner.

Good Luck

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 pm

How many setups would I need if I did find someone that needs a partner. Right now I am at two spinning rods and two bait casters .

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 pm

I started with 2 spinning rods and a baitcaster

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

The ABA is a tournament trail that pairs non boaters with boaters. there are 3 of their trails here in Mass. One in western ma, central mass and one on the cape. here is the link to that page . http://www.americanbassanglers.com/dbn012st.php?State=MA

You are not a team in this format. Everyone fishes as individuals.

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

He does know everything

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Real interested in the ABA. Seems a good direction to go in the year or two before I have a boat of my own . So much to learn!

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 pm

if you have been out of the freshwater game for a while, id recommend you to get a cheap kayak and refresh/improve your skills. i never thought id say this but, thanks to kayak fishing im loving learning how to fish deep during the summer. im learning things i could never have if i were stuck on shore.

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 am

I concur with Junior. And you and I are in the same boat....

I couldn't keep spending hours driving and chasing stripers anymore. Too much time away from home, too much cost, just impractical.

I bought a kayak this year--my first boat... I never even considered a kayak or cartopper (I planned to get a truck in another year when my car is paid off and drop a fortune on a big boat[Grady]).

Point of the story: Get a kayak dude! I catch 10x as many freshwater bass, picks, perch, and crappie. I'm having a BLAST. Nearly anywhere in MA you'll have a bunch of little fishing holes close to home that are hiding very respectable fish.

You'll need to 'learn' how to fish again... It's the same in most regards, but after a few trips, you'll have your kayak and technique down.

I want to hit the tourneys too... I am certainly ready after a couple months on the yak, but Saturday mornings are out for me for now...

You can also do better SW fishing from a yak than shore too.

My days of fishing the 5% of accessible shoreline, that everyone else fishes and over fishes, are long gone... Last year I caught less than 10 bass between 2 and 5lbs. This year I do that in a week.

Hope the info helps!

PS A good kayak you can beat on really helps.... Just make sure it's a 'sit on top fishing kayak.'

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:10 am

Why the sit on top. Curious , lots of them for sale used but are all sit in that I saw in a quick glance.

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 am

Sit on top allows you to move around, store more gear, stand up, take a leak, etc, etc... You can make the others work, but why not... I don't know if any actual fishing kayaks are sit inside.

A friend flyfishes from a small sit inside... But he uses only one rod and packs a couple flies.

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:23 am

I have a sit inside kayak that I fish from. I have modified it a little. I typically carry 4 rods, a tackle box that holds 4 - 9 x 7 compartment boxes, spare paddle, anchor and three marker buoys. I have a fish finder rigged and operational. I think a sit on top might be better allowing you to move around a lot more. Sit in's tend to make you numb from the waste down after a 6 hour float. Taking a leak can be a problem, but a wide mouth water bottle can take care of that problem. So it all comes down to preference.

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:46 pm

A used jon boat and a trolling motor is another option. I like being able to stand up and move around a bit. And the car topper tourneys are fun.

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 pm

stratos1966

The ABA is a tournament trail that pairs non boaters with boaters. there are 3 of their trails here in Mass. One in western ma, central mass and one on the cape. here is the link to that page . http://www.americanbassanglers.com/dbn012st.php?State=MA

I agree with Stratos I fish the ABAD36 out of central mass as a non
boater have been for about 5 years. It is a great bunch of guys and there are no meetings the rules are etched in stone by ABA National site. Blind draw for non boaters at ramp we have a tourney this weekend at Quabog you join the ABA at the ramp for only $25.00 a year. Tourneys are $70.00 includes lunker and payouts are pretty good plus a 50/50 draw and food at the end of each tourney. Contact Ken King at abad36.com
check it out

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:13 pm

stratos1966

check out abad36.com we have a tourney this weekend on the 10th at quabog

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links