Hey Guys,

Anyone have this lowrance?
http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Elite-4x-HDI-Fishfinder-with-DownScan-Imaging/product/1311111423/

Have a "Eagle fish/finder" its your basic blk/wht sonar, got from Dick's for $70 4yrs ago. With all the new hdi units at such cheap money, wana upgrade.

Anyone have a preference. Hummingbird or Lowrance?

Thanks for any input!!

Posted Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:03 am

[I put that same elite4 on my 2 seater bass boat what a user friendly machine got without GPS don't need .lowrance equipment
is so much better my big boat is all Lowrance remember boat must be moving for the down scan to work and you can preset and program on simulation mode just hook up to battery any q feel free to shoot me a email[/b]

Posted Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Seems all brands work decent and reliably today so I think either brand will serve you well. Shop for features like bean angle, ease/memory of settings, screen size, GPS, etc.

That said, I have gravitated towards Hummingbird over the last 12 or so years ad now own 4 of them. I like the quick release mount and the ease of use. I opt of GPS on anything that will be used on bigger water. It's very helpful in finding the car in bad weather and for marking structure for repeated use.

hth

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:36 am

I have a lowrance hds5 it's awesome. Sam switched from hummingbird to lowrance. He told me the lowrance was way easier to navigate

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 am

I have the 4x you linked to. It's ok, but like many FF's the screen glare was a problem for me. It would also cut-out and not recover very cleanly or at all sometimes when going deep to shallow and back to deep. I keep it on my yak for now, but still have an eye on the dragonfly FF as it's reviews are good.

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I have the 4X as well, but to call it a "fish finder" is misleading. I call it a depth and under water structure finder. It is super fast and the detail is pretty good until you park in tall grass/weeds, then the screen is just a blur of weeds and not much else.

If you're truly looking for something to find fish on a video screen, I would look elsewhere.

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm

I have the Lowrance X-4. It's a good unit and serves it's purpose well for the money spent on it. With the Fish ID turned on, it makes everything between the bottom and the surface a fish. So that feature is not so good. One thing you have to remember about fish finders is the amount of bottom you are seeing. With a 20 degree cone in 10 ft of water, you are only seeing 3.5 ft of the bottom. In 2 ft of water you are only seeing 8 inches. A fish has to pass directly through the center of the cone to be shown as a full arch.

Good sites to read about fish finders..... they are great tools to have, but you have to understand what they can do..... I'm learning that for me fishing my ponds, some that are very shallow, it's really nothing more that a depth gauge, but I do like that aspect too. Nothing worse than sitting in 2ft of murky, stained water thinking you are in 10 ft of water.

http://bassfishing-forbeginners.blogspot.com/2010/12/fish-finder-part-2.html

http://www.fishfinder-store.com/howfifiwo.html

Posted Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Good info thanks, I'm gonna get reading!

Posted Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links