Don't hate on me but ever since carp have been introduced to my local pond they have killed off all the predator fish. ( the lake was loaded with bass and pickerel.) but i have spent many hours on the pond and have caught less and less. I don't know how they are doing it but i say carp are trash fish

Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Carp exist in countless great bass fisheries in MA. Maybe something else happened?

Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Carp do not feed on bass. Carp are vegetarians.The only effect I can see them having on a fishery is eating too much of the weeds causing the bass to lose cover. Bass will adjust and start to use docks, drops, overhangs ect.

Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm

lets do a carp hunt lol

Last edited by enogueira on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:22 pm

The common Carp is an omnivore. They eat worms, crayfish, snails, small fish and......will vacuum a spawning nest clean.

Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Carp do eat the eggs of spawning fish. And if they don't eat the eggs their normal feeding behavior will turn up the water covering eggs with a layer of silt.

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:24 am

You just gotta convert brother! Carp fight 10x better than any bass anyway, throw some corn on a hook, sit back, and enjoy the upgrade! Smile

that being said, where is this carp loaded pond if you don't mind me asking, cuz it sounds awesome!

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:26 am

patriotsandbass

You just gotta convert brother! Carp fight 10x better than any bass anyway, throw some corn on a hook, sit back, and enjoy the upgrade! Smile

that being said, where is this carp loaded pond if you don't mind me asking, cuz it sounds awesome!

They may fight harder than bass, however, what's the strategy in just baiting corn or whatever and waiting? Bass fishing is so popular because it takes strategy and knowledge. I personally could only do carp fishing if I were bored out of my mind

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:38 am

well I say corn, but really there are dozens of strategies commonly used for catching carp, its actually fairly tough to do. plus when you hook into a 20+ pounder (or a 30) and feel that fight it makes up for whatever waiting u may have had to do. just my opinion though.

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:41 am

chuckh

The common Carp is an omnivore. They eat worms, crayfish, snails, small fish and......will vacuum a spawning nest clean.

You learn something new every day. Thanks

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 am

enogueira

patriotsandbass

They may fight harder than bass, however, what's the strategy in just baiting corn or whatever and waiting? Bass fishing is so popular because it takes strategy and knowledge. I personally could only do carp fishing if I were bored out of my mind

Fly fishing for carp is a whole other game. Like bonefish, they spook easily and it takes some accurate and delicate casting to place the fly where they will pick it up. Once they do, hold on because you'll be riding 10 lbs of fury!

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 pm

bloomagoo

enogueira

patriotsandbass

Fly fishing for carp is a whole other game. Like bonefish, they spook easily and it takes some accurate and delicate casting to place the fly where they will pick it up. Once they do, hold on because you'll be riding 10 lbs of fury!

That's what she said

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I know dozens of ponds with excessive carp populations that still contain healthy bass and pickerel populations, so I suspect that there may be a few other factors involved. And contrary to what you might think, carp fishing can be a lot more challenging than you'd imagine with prebaiting, selecting the right bait (corn wont always catch the big one), etc. In Europe, carp are the most highly prized sportfish, and even in the US they are gaining popularity. It can be technical fishing, But as Bloomagoo said, fly fishing for carp is some of the most fun fishing you could ever do. They can be selective when it comes to flies, but they are still catchable. And even a 5-10 pound carp on a fly rod is a great fight- far better than any bass. And imaging a 30 pounder. And if you don't fly fish, even on a spinning rod they put up a great fight.

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:48 pm

I have been thoroughly enjoying the passionate discussion lately. From the great bait hate senko debate to harping on carping, we are solving all the angling world'sv problems. I have to ask, is catching a carp on a senko a double negative and by extension a positive?

Posted Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:12 am

Bottom line, to each their own!

Posted Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links