Hey guys. I have no clue what happened. I just got a new rod setup. I have a St. Croix Triump medium-heavy and an Abu Garcia Orra SX30 spinning reel 9 bearings with 20lbs braid test line. I've taken this baby out 4 times! and has gotten me over 10 so far sure. Just today I would realize after kayaking some my line and lure dropped much more than what I left it at when I began paddling. Then I caught my 3rd bass and i went to grab him for a pic and he just dropped back in the water. This kept happening. It happens even with no fish and just a lure on it. The spool is closed and ready to reel in and the line just drops out like when you flip the metal ring over to cast. you can also spin it backwards when the ring is closed, this was not the case the last 3 times. Does anyone know what's wrong? I planned on fishing all weekend. I can only think a bearing broke but it has like 12lbs of pull force or however it was described that surely even large game wouldnt be able to do unless you really catch the fish of your life. I haven't caught anything even over 3lbs so... anyone know what's wrong!? was an expensive reel!

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Did you try to tighten the drag? Also does that spinning reel have a switch on it that will stop it from reeling backwards? You may of hit it by accident.

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm very new to working my own equipment, like spooling and maintenance and stuff. I see the knob to keep the reeling handle tight and the spinning knob to pop the spool off. I don't see any other switches. How do you tighten the drag?

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 pm

I found a switch! Thanks man!

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:47 pm

See the knob on the very front? That tightens the drag

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm

The same one that also releases the spool?

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:43 pm

yes

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks!!

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links