is there a certain time to use big jigs?? i love using jigs but i use mostly finesse jigs! these jigs dont realy shine in the warmwater! i do best in the cold water with them!

are big heavy jigs the way to go for summer time slobs? i know they catch big fish! im talking bout flippin pitchin to stumps and trees! not going deep! the majority of my ponds are less the 10 feet

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am

Either or.. Id be throwing a heavy jig with a big hook.. Throw on a beefy craw or paddletail

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm

a big summer jig fish is around 2 pounds. ive caught my biggest in spring and a few other slobs fall and spring with finesse jigs!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 pm

bassturds

a big summer jig fish is around 2 pounds. ive caught my biggest in spring and a few other slobs fall and spring with finesse jigs!

Big Jigs will always produce. Pay attention to bait type and colors. Jigs are greatly versatile and as you put time in you'll find small things that work for you.

And bass over 5 lbs are caught in the summer just about everyday in this state on jigs.

Last edited by jctr on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

The bigger the better...........not always true but fishing heavy cover
I always go bigger but I scale down if I am fishing weeds and grass
you just have to experiment, color look at the water you are fishing
in. To me a jig is the most versatile bait out there all seasons it will produce.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:45 pm

I have a new found confidence in a jig in the past month or so. I was always content with a texas rig brush hog, beaver etc etc and using it in place. I finally put it down and only would tie a jig on and the last month probably have 5 or 6 fish over 4 pounds and a couple over 5 just on a jig alone.

Weed beds, docks, points, humps. Throw it anywhere and everywhere. Bigger for deeper or heavier color. Anything else I throw 3/8oz. 75% of the time I throw black/blue. If the water is clear or Im not getting bit Ill go green pumpkin or brown/orange or downsize.

Ive really started getting into throwing swim jigs as my primary search bait because of its versatility and being able to swim it up to a target and let it die and fish it like a normal jig. It has almost completely taken the place of a spinnerbait and chatterbait for me.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Love me some Blk/Blue Hack attacks in or around the slop!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:49 pm

I love throwing a mop jig but you dont need big jigs to catch big bass.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Favorite trailers ? I prefer the chigger craw.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:31 pm

jamesd

Still experimenting so far when the water is warm I like the rage craw, paca craw, chigger craw and biffle bug. Cold water a dbomb or rodent.

Swim jigs either a fat Albert or a boot tail

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:25 pm

paca craws and doubletail grubs. also been trying 3 inch pit boss this year. I don't buy chigger craws because so many of them are deformed out of the package. and you can't straighten them out with hot water like most other plastics, they get gooey.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:33 pm

jamesd

zoom ultra vibe speed craw. or a twin tail grub or finesse craw for a finesse jig. someone recently told me to try stroking a heavy jig in deep water...and ever since, it's been on!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 pm

samf

jamesd

zoom ultra vibe speed craw. or a twin tail grub or finesse craw for a finesse jig. someone recently told me to try stroking a heavy jig in deep water...and ever since, it's been on!

I just act like I forgot my plastics and use Sam's stuff

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I have been known to throw my Big Jig naked

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Skirted creature bait texas rigged w/ tungsten weight (slither rig) vs Jig and trailer ??? Opinions??

Posted Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:35 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links