I'm looking for public acccess areas to shore fish around the Methuen area.Thanks for any information.

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 4:27 pm

See the map with the blue arrows, I've been to all of them with Lake Cochichewick being my favorite to shore fish in that area.

I don't know of any shore fishing with "access" directly in Methuen, and by access I mean having not only space to fish from, but also not infringing on private property.

*Late edit: Just read your post , not the heading, Lawrence is probably your best bet to fish the Merrimack. There was talk of the ramp in Methuen being repaired, but I haven't seen anything. The entire stretch of the river that goes through Methuen (along 110) is nearly impossible to shore fish from.

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 2:05 pm

It's a little ways down 110 from Methuen towards Lowell, but IF the river is high, this is a stupendous spot to catch fish.

Close up view sort of shows it. There is a used car dealer and a little pond to the side of it. The pond drains into the Merrimack through a large concrete tunnel that goes under Rt. 110. When the water is high the entire tunnel is deep and the pond dumps tons of water into the river. The smallmouth/largemouth/crappie all stack up in the tunnel. You can climb down the pond side and there should be some well placed rocks to stand on and cast into the tunnel. HOLD ON, the fish are usually big and there are many. Have caught over 30 fish in 2 hours at times there. Remember, only when water is high.

The second pic is a pulled back shot so you can locate it. The last shows the tunnel itself. Good luck, let me know if you try it.

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info guys . I'll let you know if I try them out.

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 am

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:01 am

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 am

I used to bait fish for Carp on the banks of the Merrimac. Wow , what fun. I'll never forget the sight of a 16# carp dragging my UL spinning gear (and the lawn chair that was holding it) down the bank and into the river.

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links