So doing some research on Crawfish in MA, are these buggers native to our waters here? I know we use a lot of baits that imitate them (jigs, creaturebaits, etc.) and I am wondering if these are actually found in our waters natively, or if bass are triggered by these out of instinct more so than actual diet representation.

Upon doing some research, Walden Pond seems to be one of few of the only reports that hold Crawfish, and I am wondering if this is something that is assumed is everywhere and I am just missing something, or if these really are as infrequent as the data supporting their locations?

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:39 am

My livewell says they are in every pond I have fished a tourney in. Always find spit up crawfish claws and tails once while whole ones in the livewell. As do many other guys I know. they are very abundant in mass clear ponds muck ponds weed holes doesn't seem to matter.

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:55 am

They're everywhere in ma. I had a bass puke one up on my seat the other day

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:56 am

shawneramone

They're everywhere in ma. I had a bass puke one up on my seat the other day

lmao!

Good to know guys thanks

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 am

WHEN YA GO BACK FLIP OVER SOME ROCKS,LOGS ETC AND CHECK THE COLOR PATTERN ON THEM ONE PLACE I FISH THEY HAVE A SPOT OF ORANGE BEHIND HEAD AND TIPS OF CLAWS I TAKE A MARKER AND COLOR A GREEN PUMPKIN ZOOM GRASS CRAW THE SAME WAY I,VE FISHED ONE WITH AND ONE WITHOUT MARKER
ON A BALL HEAD JIG MANY TIMES AND THERES A BIG DIFFERANCE IN AMOUNT AND SIZE I CATCH

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm

After many years of top-notch crayfish (crawdad) fishing as a kid down south, all I EVER saw of crayfish was a couple claws in the Sudbury reservoir.

I was VERY pumped to see three, small, greenish crayfish in my baitfish trap at my favorite honeyhole over the holiday weekend.

My baitfish traps are for educational purposes, not really harvesting baitfish... You can grab a low-end one from Bass Pro Shops or Dicks.

Throw a hot dog, bacon, or a dead fish in one and see if you get any.

They prefer shallow water. Lots of folks mentioned rocky bottoms, as was the case down south as a kid, but this muck hole barely has a pebble in it.

Posted Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:24 pm

I have caught many bass at sud res that spit up crawfish claws.

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 am

I've turned over rocks at Wachusetts that were on the water's edge in order to check the color of crawfish there and have seen plenty of them.

Crawfish are all over Quabbin as well.

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links