Does anybody know of any rivers or streams in Central Ma that hold a good amount of river dace/fallfish?

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't fish too often in central MA, but basically every stream in Northern MA that is stocked with trout has them. I sometimes go up there with small hooks and catch a bunch for live bait at Wachusett. Worms and a small hook are the ticket.

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Actually, just remebered, the Quinapoxett river has a good population of them. Just fish in the deep pools.

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I plan on trying to catch some to use for lakers and smallies at Wachusett this fall.

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:45 pm

They are great for BIG bass in Wachusett right around now, and probably in every lake. Chubs, wild shiners, fallfish, etc. are way better that store bought shiners because they last longer and are heartier. Just be careful what water you fish them in- if its too warm they will die quickly since the streams they inhabit are very cold.

How do you fish them for lakers? I've always wanted to try to target lakers in the 'chu. I assume you troll 'em down deep?

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Use a big weight with slider n a leader. I fish them about 2-3 ft off bottom. Caught my 13.5lb laker in july off a chub or fall fish. I catch them and use them at the chu. Big 5-6in great for giant lakers. Tiny worm n hook to catch the chubs or fall fish.Perch r great as well.

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 pm

The lakers n smallies should be making their move closer to shore soon.

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:36 pm

i need to start using big bait. i really want a monster laker

Posted Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:20 am

The one I used for the monstah lakah was 6 in big boy! Man did that fish nail it. Was rippin line out so fast was affraid to flip bail lol! Surprised reel didn't fall apar!

Posted Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Are these effective for lakers from shore, or only a boat? I guess I have my canoe if I need to get the baits in the middle, but shore is far easier for access...

Posted Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Wachusett is shore only. Don't take any boat on it unless u want the Swat team to descend upon u! Lol they r really strict about it.Can fish the Quabin with a boat for lakers. I use them just from shore. Wachusett has some deep spots u can reach from shore.

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links