Hey guys,

Im looking to try and catch some decent cat fish. Does anyone know of any good locations in the south shore to catch some catfish other than the charles, and techniques that work. I have caught some smaller horn pout but would like to cross some bigger cats off our list*. I heard some stinky bait and let it sit and wait, so a pond that we could catch some other fish in the meantime.

Again, thanks for all the help

* My buddy and I, fairly new to consistent fishing made a list of fish you can catch in new england and have been focusing on learning how to fish for them. Weve gotten most of the common fish, basses, pan fish, a few of the trouts. Any other ideas about "exotic" fish in between boston and the cape would be appreciated..... Next Up.... Cats and Carp

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:06 am

I don't have too much experience on the south shore, but I do know Mashpee-Wakeby Pond has a few White Cats. I've never actually caught one there, but I have a few friends in that area who have. I'm not sure if white cats are one of the species you were after, but they can get to pretty good sizes.

As for your technique, just like you said, a stinky bait on the bottom is the best.

And for other "exotic species", carp might be a fun one to catch. They put up a great fight and can actually be difficult to catch. However, I'm not sure if there are any good spots in your area, so you would probably have to travel north to get some. Charles River, Concord River, Flax Pond, Assabet River, and the Merrimack River- all good.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links