As with anything "law", you are responsible for knowing it. Somehow I landed on this web page and was intrigued that it was illegal to fish between Lawrence and Haverhill:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/cmr/321-cmr-400-fishing.html

"(4) Prohibitions: Except as otherwise provided for in M.G.L. c. 131 and 321 CMR, it shall be unlawful:

(a) to fish in the Merrimack River in the area downstream from the Essex Dam to the Boston and Maine Railroad Bridge"

This is interesting because Methuen is building/renovating a new ramp off Rt. 110. Maybe there's a law that supersedes this (the "otherwise provided"), but I couldn't find it.

Now the more intriguing part for me is how the heck do people fish this area anyways? It is loaded with underwater structures (i.e. rocks) that would be catastrophic for any boat if hit. Are there any old-timers here that have made the trek? To me this is virgin fishing territory, screaming with Pike and Smallies. I'd probably pay someone to navigate me through to the prime real estate. Until then, I don't think I'd make this trip into an exploration adventure.[/quote]

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm

You can't use umbrella rigs in Mass because its a old law for snagging migratory fish.

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:52 am

crazy some of the stuff you find out. makes you wonder if thats something they reall enforce or not

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:44 am

tiderid10

crazy some of the stuff you find out. makes you wonder if thats something they reall enforce or not

I've never seen environmental police, and I've only ever had one cop talk to me while fishing, he didn't even ask if I had a license he asked me if I was catching anything then started telling me about a salmon trip he went on.

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:03 pm

It is interesting to think whether or not they would enforce those strange laws...

I usually don't see environmental police officers on my trips, but occasionally you'll see 5 or 6 all patrolling the same 100 yard stretch of a river. Seems like they are never spread out enough.

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:17 pm

because of the salmon restoration program that failed or shad run . Is there a fish ladder there? That may be why ? I know on the Connecticut river that you cannot fish a part of the river for shad between the rt 116 bridge and dam .

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:48 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links