All you swimbait gurus...

Huddleston or MS Slammer? Pick which one you prefer. Just looking for input.

Posted Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:37 pm

I never used any of those and I dont plan to anyway. due to prices.. I will be fall to death if i was break off one of those lures.

I think you need to put your option how to use your own lures.. plan your fishing attacks. If you plan to mostly on top water, slammer is way to go. If you wanted bottom or suspense fishing, hudd is way to go..

Just a two cent, if you wanted hudd - just buy savage trouts instead. they will factor your costs by buying it. Just trying to be helpful.

Last factor, we live in massachusetts in which there are bunch of pikerels around here. slammers is sound good than hudd due to plastics that can be ripped off from pikerels.

There are so many things that you need to think about before being impulsive buy it.

Myself, personally, definitely stick to small lures and cheap.. Have been pulling many bass under my belt. This year, i am willing to try go big with lures or go home.. Hope for the luck. If im suck, i'm always can go back to with lures that im good with it.

Posted Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I never actually planned to go with Huds (I can't justify spending $30 on a lure with so many cheaper versions), but I said "huddleston", just because I figured it was more well known.

I'm thinking I would be more willing to spend the money on a slammer, since they float, don't dive deep, and wont be torn to shreds by pickerel. But I agree, $40 is a lot.

I feel like with a soft swimbait I'd feel like I'm dragging a hunk of weeds cross the bottom all day. Nothing to feel as you retrieve, if you know what I mean. For this reason, I may go with the Slammer.

Btw, do you know if someone makes a rip off Slammer? There are so many rip off Huds that are very similar and way cheaper, so maybe theres a cheaper slammer out there?

Posted Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 pm

I have no interest in paying a lot of money for a soft-bodied swimbait. If I'm going to spend upwards of $50 or more, I want it to survive at least one pickerel attack.

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:48 am

@catfishkid a friend of mine makes a slammer his name is rich lebanc and he sells them off his Facebook he also used to run the car topper tourneys off maff and now runs grudge match fishing off Facebook look him up his baits are top notch!

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:10 am

or you can just ask stratos on this forum. lol

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 am

good point kman duh! must be all this snow thats got my brain all jumbled up

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:41 pm

I have never fished a slammer, but have heard only good things about them. As far hudds go, they are absolutely amazing in my opinion. Put one one on and just take a look at how it swims, nothing else comes close to looking like a real trout, imo. Huddlestons and slammers are both good baits to start off with. As far as losing them, like any other expensive bait, get heavy gear and be conscious of where your fish it.

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Slammer and a Hudd are like apples and oranges. A slammer type bait targets the 0' to 5' zone in the water column while the hudd is a bottom bumping deep water bait for the most part. A slammer type can be used "most effectively" when the water temps get up into the upper 50's and up while the hudd works best in cold water or in the heat of the summer when bass are deeper.
If you are just starting out with swimbaits, IMO a slammer type bait will build your confidence much faster then a hudd type bait.

Last edited by stratos1966 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:22 pm

stratos1966

Slammer and a Hudd are like apples and oranges. A slammer type bait targets the 0' to 5' zone in the water column while the hudd is a bottom bumping deep water bait for the most part. A slammer type can be used "most effectively" when the water temps get up into the upper 50's while the hudd works best in cold water or in the heat of the summer when bass are deeper.
If you are just starting out with swimbaits, IMO a slammer type bait will build your confidence much faster then a hudd type bait.

Great, thanks Rich! This is just what I was looking to find. I'll probably get some slammers and better swimbait gear closer to thaw-out.

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:45 pm

hudds are bottom lures! cast out and REEL SLOWLY!!!!!!! yea they are expensive but you could get lucky! i bought 2 slammers, nates,jsj,2 punkers,BBZ and a hudd for 160. the jsj is 80 bucks alone!

thats 20 bucks each lure! i got lucky but look on the forums!
swimbaits underground has a BST thread! lots of gear! lures rods reels!

any ways! the slammers will be better for the ponds i fish alot! weedy stump filled ponds! the hudd will be better for sandy bottom, clear trout ponds!

Posted Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 am

I've used huddleston type baits without much luck, even though they look phenomenal in the water. I LOVE Slammers and it's very exciting to see a Slammer get crushed on top of the water! Good luck whatever you decide to use!

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links