MA finally added a catch and release section to the Sportfishing Awards Program. I don't know why they couldn't have done this sooner.

But anyways, I use a certified scale for weighing fish, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now. Do I keep weighing them and enter them in the catch and keep category, even though I release them, or should I just measure their length?

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:17 am

I have the same situation as you - I too use a portable certified scale. I emailed the DFW (I'll let you know), but I'd prefer to keep weighing them. But I think it's a great step forward! This is a good addition to the program, as many people didn't enter because they would have had to kill the fish. I bet that people will start "playing the game" now, and bringing a fish to a bait stop if the catch and keep leader is less than the catch and release.

Also, I think that going forward they should split the C&R category into "Youth" and "Adult", just like C&K. I think that kids do have limits on where and when they can go fishing for fish that would become a pin.

And I believe shawneramone is on the On The Water Page

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 am

I might be wrong but from what I am guessing from MassWildLife is that they set up the C.P.R. for adults since kids are taking over the weight pins for last few years. So, they wanted to find out more data about fish. So, hence, the reason why they had to set up the C.P.R. So they can draw more adults to reference/boost MassWildLife's data on fish.

Anyway, C.P.R. is different category from weight pins. I am not sure about C.P.R. is similar with weight pins. However, all I know is that if you cared about pins (for gold pins or Angler of the year award) and you will want to be weight them. If you don't care and wanted to released them and you are guarantee to get C.P.R. pin.

Hope it is clear up some things that you are confused about it.

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 am

teamtrout

And I believe shawneramone is on the On The Water Page

OMG his awesomeness will explode to epic proportions. Anyway of seeing the picture?

Edit: Found it... Thats him!! Congrats Shawn !!!!!!

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 am

stratos1966

OMG his awesomeness will explode to epic proportions. Anyway of seeing the picture?

Edit: Found it... Thats him!! Congrats Shawn !!!!!!

Glad you found it! Very Happy

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 am

deaffisherman

I might be wrong but from what I am guessing from MassWildLife is that they set up the C.P.R. for adults since kids are taking over the weight pins for last few years. So, they wanted to find out more data about fish. So, hence, the reason why they had to set up the C.P.R. So they can draw more adults to reference/boost MassWildLife's data on fish.

Anyway, C.P.R. is different category from weight pins. I am not sure about C.P.R. is similar with weight pins. However, all I know is that if you cared about pins (for gold pins or Angler of the year award) and you will want to be weight them. If you don't care and wanted to released them and you are guarantee to get C.P.R. pin.

Hope it is clear up some things that you are confused about it.

Yeah, thanks deaffisherman. That makes sense about them wanting more data. But they are doing gold pins and angler of the year for both C&R and C&K. Do you mean that the weighing one is more serious? Thanks

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:35 am

Edit: Oops, accidentally posted that last post twice

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:45 am

that was the last 6 lb fish ever caught at Boone.

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Maff killed Boone

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:42 pm

shawneramone

Maff killed Boone

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:46 pm

yea i never fished it but from what ive seen on here it gets pounded

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:05 pm

shawneramone

Awesome
http://www.onthewater.com/massachusetts-adds-release-category-awards-program/

Wait, Shawn, I've read through just about every On The Water report about MA, and I'm almost positive I've seen that exact photo before...

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:16 pm

catfishkid

What do ya know, look what I found Very Happy

http://www.onthewater.com/forecasts/2012/05/massachusetts-new-hampshire-and-maine-fishing-report-5-17-2012/

Yup. That's the first time they used it

Posted Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links