What sort of fish are in the Merrimack? I have caught carp from there, and a few trout. But I've heard there are BIG catfish in there too. Does anybody know if this is really true? If so, it may be worth checking out next spring. Plus if you are catfishing there, there is the bonus chance to run into a sturgeon!

Posted Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 pm

I know that there small mouth, and pike... not sure about catfish but i wouldn't be surprised if they were in there. And actually i just ran into an article about Merrimack river sturgeon, http://www.onthewater.com/catching-a-merrimack-river-sturgeon/
And you mentioned catching trout on the Merrimack... On what part of the Merrimack to trout run? I'm guessing up in NH like Nashua throughout Manchester? I also herd in the spring that Salmon run by the dam in Lowell. is this true?
There are also Striped Bass as far down as Haverhill.

Posted Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 am

I haven't caught many trout on the Merrimack, but all the ones I have were in spots where the river meets tributaries. They are also probably up in Nashua and further north.

Posted Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:00 pm

There are definitely catfish in The Merrimack, the owner of the now defunct "River City Bait Shop" won the catfish category in a contest (in Haverhill) a couple years ago.

Not sure about trout, can't rule it out where the Shawsheen River empties into The Merrimack in Lawrence - where a lot of people fish for Pike. The damns might be taken down along The Shawsheen in the coming years to open it up, it's in Committee last I read.

There is/was Salmon as far as Andover. Three years ago, a guy caught one behind the dance studio near the railroad tracks. Fish & Game have halted the stocking program because it isn't working.

There will also be a new renovated boat ramp in Methuen next Summer. It's in a great stretch, but if you head down river towards Haverhill, do so at your own risk.

I did do some Striper fishing and was skunked in the Haverhill stretch this year. The only one's I caught were non-keepers out of Newburyport.

Posted Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:15 pm

i will be up at that river for pike in early spring. never caught a pike before.

Posted Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:19 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links