Does anyone fish the Neponset River? We used to fish it when I was younger, specifically in the Norton/Canton area, and it was a good bass fishery. Even some trout, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I went back there a few years ago, took the kayak out. I saw a ton of carp, but caught nothing. Worse, there were countless little globs of oil in the water, all coming from upriver. Made me start to think the place was polluted or something. I didn't stick around long after that.

My father asked about it the other day, said he'd like to try it again. Aside from that one time I fished it a few years ago, neither of us has fished there about 20 years if not longer, so I figured I'd ask before trying again.

So...worth fishing? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I took my kayak down it a couple times in 2013. Not a lotta love from that place - 1 bass, 1 pickerel and lotsa trash. I launched from Signal Hill in Canton. First trip went downstream during spring highwater. Second trip went upstream after water had dropped. Caught the two fish upstream. After that I decided that there are just too many other better fishing spots. The river definitely needs some TLC. The Neponset River Watershed Foundation http://www.neponset.org/ is always looking for folks to help with cleanups and such.

Posted Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:04 am

Yeah, it didn't look or smell too good when I went. The carp seemed to love it.

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:22 am

I looked around on the internet and from what I found, construction and other rivers it meets with have caused the river to be a bit polluted. Maybe this contributed to the oil you saw? Anyways, carp are fun to catch, but it sounds like a bad place to go for some bass, considering all the other closeby spots.

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:19 am

catfishkid

I looked around on the internet and from what I found, construction and other rivers it meets with have caused the river to be a bit polluted. Maybe this contributed to the oil you saw? Anyways, carp are fun to catch, but it sounds like a bad place to go for some bass, considering all the other closeby spots.

Shame. It really was a good fishery. Like I said, I'm pretty sure there were trout in there back then, so it was probably a lot cleaner then.

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links