Headed to Winter Haven, Florida in a week. I was just wondering if anyone's done a good amount of bass fishing in Florida. I've tried to catch some bass down there before but never had any luck. I feel like there's something different about the bass in Florida. If you have any input please do share!

Posted Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:26 am

Have been going down to the Naples area for quite awhile now. Lucky to stay in a gated community that has a wealth of small ponds. It's always great to be able to fish soft water in Feb. & March. To answer your question, this time of year is their spring pre-spawn, spawn period - use the baits you'd use up here. Hard & soft stick baits, 4" & 5" soft swimbaits, & when the wind blows, use spinnerbaits on windblown banks.
Tube baits are good especially on days the bite is slow. Color wise, green pumpkin is always good for plastics on all days - clear days I use watermelon & on cloudy days, black/blue flake. Another good soft bait is a Zoom Fluke or Lunker City Sluggo/fin-s in shad colors.
I don't know where you fish but I don't wander too far seeing as I don't have my boat & don't want to buy a lic., small waters can produce some pretty good size bass from the shore. No double digit catches but some very nice pigs. Besides, you're fishing & not shoveling snow!! Good luck, if there's any more I can provide, let me know.

Posted Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks for all the advice! Can't wait to be in warm weather. I will be sure to let you know how I do when I'm down there.

Posted Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:22 pm

id fish jigs. big heavy jigs. use large baits. on heavy tackle. but i havent been to florida in years. the only time ive been bass fishing was on a charter in disney and we were using shiners.

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:53 am

I'm a jig fisherman or I like to fish jigs but, strangely, when I'm down there I've had very little luck w/jigs. Maybe it's the ponds on which I'm fishing - I just don't know. Normally, I'd agree w/you but my experience the last 5 or 6 years has moved me away from jigs. The same applies to frogs & buzzbaits, very little success w/each of those.

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 pm

really? i was thinking flippin pitching to weeds and cover would be killer. or slow roll a huge wake bait

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Yeah, me too. I think it's just the waters I've been fishing - man made ponds in a gated, condo community.

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:36 pm

i look out side and see the snow! and this talk bout florida. making me hate winter even more.

some day i would like to bass fish down there. test my skills. give them florida bass hell!

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Would love to fish Okeechobee for 2 or 3 days straight!

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 am

I'm with ya' brother!

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 am

that would be awesome! id love to go punch matts at okechobee. go flip pads,and reeds. use big texas rig worms! ahhh some day ill get down there

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:10 am

Love to hit the everglades!

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:57 pm

I think peacock bass would be a fun catch.

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:26 am

i got a friend of mine you fishes down there often, and slams the peacocks.

check her out, she owns a lure company called AR lures

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:04 am

That's rite, peacocks! Heck yea, I forgot about them. do they get to the same size as the ones in South America?

Posted Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links