Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this. Looking to add side handles to my kayak. What's the best way to secure them; rivots or those triple grip anchors with screws?

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:43 am

I would go with rivets. You can add a washer on the inside to give it extra strength. Screws leave sharp, exposed points that you just know will get stuck in flesh somehow down the road.....

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:31 am

fdw9652

I would go with rivets. You can add a washer on the inside to give it extra strength. Screws leave sharp, exposed points that you just know will get stuck in flesh somehow down the road.....

LOL I like that and totally agree Laughing

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:31 pm

If you don't have access to the inside of the hull (Sit-on-top with no hatches), most handle manufacturers recommend rivets. If you do have access (Sit-in or Sit-on-top through a hatch), they recommend bolts with washers inside and outside of the hull and secured by a lock nut. A bit of silicone will complete the seal. Their reasoning behind using the bolts is that they'll bear weight better than the rivets. Especially when your kayak is loaded with gear. Yak Gear makes a handle kit that includes both rivets and bolts.

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Are those particular rivots (long black, etc) avail. at any of the home improvement stores? (If you want to DIY)

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm

I got some at either WalMart or at Dick's Sporting Goods - WalMart had them as part of a "Deck Kit" that came with some other goodies that are good to have.

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 am

Here's the handle kit I just purchased and installed. I bought it from Academy Sports...
http://www.yak-gear.com/shop/kayak-canoe-rigging-replacement-kits/kayak-handles

Yak Gear also has a rivet kit. Dick's sells these for around $7.
http://www.yak-gear.com/shop/kayak-canoe-rigging-replacement-kits/Tri-Grip-Rivet-Kit

For some reason, the Yak Gear handle kit Dick's has listed only includes nuts & bolts. I don't know why.

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:27 am

Thanks for the help, guys. I went online and the Yak-gear website rocks. $12.99 for the complete kit, and $6.99 for the rivets (qty 10). Very reasonable shipping charges too. Because I had some odds and ends to use (pc of pvc for handle, old duffle bag shoulder strap for rest of it); I went with the rivets only. Can't beat the $1.00 for shipping. thanks again.

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:55 am

No prob. Good luck with the install!

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links