Hello party people,

I work at a Boys & Girls Club and once a week I have a D.I.Y. class where the kids build something. (Aquaponic fish tank this week.)

Anyway, in a few weeks (or months at this rate) when the pond across the street thaws I was going to have the kids build their own minnow traps.

I use flies, rooster tails, etc, and have never used the minnow trap I was given as a kid.

If any of you have used them, what works best for bait?

Thanks.

--BA

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:00 am

Now that I think of it, does anyone know if it's legal to use the minnows we catch in the minnow traps in the aquaponic tank we're building?

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:57 am

Put a few slices of bread in the trap. And it depends on what you catch in the trap.

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:41 pm

As a kid I used to spend hours catching minnows (salt and fresh). Sometimes for bait, most times for fun. Bait of choice was always torn /balled up pieces of bread. Back in those days a glass milk bottle was a great trap and needed no improvement. As for legality of transplanting/keeping minnows, I'd ring MA fish and wildlife. They will help you out.

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:06 pm

i love minnow traps. shiners,newts, crays, eels,crabs ,chubs! had a blast when i was a kid.

marsh for chubs crabs and eels. bread works!

Streams for shiners and crays

ponds for shiners and newts

bread catches everything but dog food, canned cat food works better

just go out and explore, you never know whats going to be in the trap. thats part of the fun!

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links