I never knew this could happen to a trout ..http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/fresh/grip-and-kill.htm

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:23 pm

troutfreak

I never knew this could happen to a trout ..http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/fresh/grip-and-kill.htm

interesting write up

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:38 am

You can scare a Rainbow to death, tell it that the Lakers and Larrys are hungry hahahahaha I have a pic with a 15 inch Rainbow in the belly of a BIG Laker from the Res

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:44 am

So true, they are fragile fish. I only trout fish if I'm willing and amble to keep them, because I've released a couple to have them swim away then go belly up. I try to lip hook them, and dehook them in the net in the water without touching them, but sometime they swallow the hook and I have to handle them.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:11 pm

I won't even bother to try to get hook out if they swallow it. For the most part I try to give them away.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:27 pm

badlarry

I won't even bother to try to get hook out if they swallow it. For the most part I try to give them away.

I give some away, but I also eat them as they are delicious on the grill. I'm not big on eating fish, but I do like trout.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 am

They r great tasting fish one of the best. I just hate the hastle of cleaning n disposing of guts. Ok I admit I'm lazy.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 am

Great info. If you are going to fish for trout this is important to know.

I'd also add if you are going to fish for trout and plan on C&R that bait is s death wish.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:12 pm

I've seen people handle them as careful as ever and still seen them go belly up. Definitely one of the frailest of the fish world!

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Trout aren't that hard to release alive. I know that catching any fish has some mortality involved, but if you wet your hands, don't play them too much, keep them in the water with a rubber net, that you'll get decent results.

If you use live bait or powerbait then you might as well hit them on the head as they usually swallow it. If you are over the age of 12 of so you should be enough of a fisherman to catch them without bait, though.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:51 pm

The release is possibly the most important aspect of safely handling these fish. You MUST hold them in the water until they regain their bearings and swim off. If they are floating around, you are probably just tossing 'em in the water instead of taking the time to let them figure out what's up and what's down. Holding the vertically doesn't help, either.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Usually a catch and release guy, so fishing for trout with them being so delicate isn't so appealing to me. Of course you should be careful with any fish, but those trout just seem too fragile and not my cup of tea. Just a personal preference is all.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 pm

My experience with successful trout C&R has been this: never handle the fish with my hands, only have them out of the water for a quick picture if I want to record/document the fish, and when I do that I hold the spinner, not the fish. Then back in the water, unhook and release. Last weekend I released 6 newly stocked trout (the most fragile of state in my opinion) with 100% success.

Of course, I kept my first two for the grill-Delicious! Wink

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:31 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links