need a swimbait rod and reel.

dont know my heaviest lure. but i do have a 9 inch bbz that weighs 4oz.
dont know how heavy my 6 inch hudd or my 8inch punker but these are the heaviest lures.

picked up only

Posted Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Been looking into finding the same thing for next year. I go kayak fishing so the longer than 7 foot rods don't really work all that well for me, but looking into it, it seems like a 7 ft rod in a heavy action with a reel that holds a little more line than your normal low profile reel with a lower gear ratio is the way to go. Need the stiff rod to be able to cast the lure well and the line capacity to throw it a long way. Low gear ratio will give you the power to haul the big bait in, hopefully with a huge fish attached to it!! Very Happy

Posted Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:57 pm

fdw9652

it seems like a 7 ft rod in a heavy action with a reel that holds a little more line than your normal low profile reel with a lower gear ratio is the way to go. Need the stiff rod to be able to cast the lure well and the line capacity to throw it a long way. Low gear ratio will give you the power to haul the big bait in, hopefully with a huge fish attached to it!! Very Happy

Right on! My combo is a Okuma Guide Swimbait rod (7'11") and a Shimano Cardiff 300 series reel. But I know this is a bit expensive if you're not ready to throw swimbaits full time Very Happy

Little 65 pound braid, 80 pound, 2 foot flouro leader, 6 inch swimbait, and you're all set!

Posted Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:30 pm

yea im only gona throw big baits in certain locations. some ponds i fish dont have the caliber of fish to eat a 6 inch bait.

i still like catching 2.5lbsers

Posted Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:22 pm

fdw9652

Been looking into finding the same thing for next year. I go kayak fishing so the longer than 7 foot rods don't really work all that well for me, but looking into it, it seems like a 7 ft rod in a heavy action with a reel that holds a little more line than your normal low profile reel with a lower gear ratio is the way to go. Need the stiff rod to be able to cast the lure well and the line capacity to throw it a long way. Low gear ratio will give you the power to haul the big bait in, hopefully with a huge fish attached to it!! Very Happy

I couldn't agree more. I see a lot of people here talking about 7'+ rods and I'm like no way. These guys must have big pipes Kayak fishing, light rods in the 6' range, its easy on the elbows Exclamation

Posted Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:11 pm

stump

I couldn't agree more. I see a lot of people here talking about 7'+ rods and I'm like no way. These guys must have big pipes Kayak fishing, light rods in the 6' range, its easy on the elbows Exclamation

But I believe you need the longer rod with some backbone to throw those 6-10 inch lures. Some of them weigh 4 or 5 ounces, and the average 6 foot rod definitely can't handle that. Maybe swimbait fishing should be mainly done from shore or a bigger boat, and not a kayak?

Posted Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:58 pm

catfishkid

stump

But I believe you need the longer rod with some backbone to throw those 6-10 inch lures. Some of them weigh 4 or 5 ounces, and the average 6 foot rod definitely can't handle that. Maybe swimbait fishing should be mainly done from shore or a bigger boat, and not a kayak?

I agree with that. The biggest rod I use is a 6'6 Browning Med Hvy but most of the time I'm fishing with a shimano 6'6 Med fast or 6' Med. I think my elbows are getting old Crying or Very sad

Posted Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Go with an Okuma Guide Select - Heavy 7'11 or XH. Lifetime warranty and one of my favorite swimbait rods. For $135 (or cheaper on Amazon), you get a lifetime warranty - that saves you a lot over a lifetime of fishing. I throw 8" Hudds, 6-8" Savage Gear line-thru's and top hooks, Lunker Punkers, etc.

Go with the XH if you are looking to throw a Deps 250. I have a 250, but don't want to test the limits on my H.

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 am

Okuma Guide Select 7'9 Heavy does the job for me. Slammers, pats perch, bbz its a great rod. I use a REVO Beast for a reel, its pricey the Daiwa Lexa 300 I think is the next best option overall. I also fish in a kayak primarily and havent had an issue with a 7'9 rod

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:17 am

temp32

Okuma Guide Select 7'9 Heavy does the job for me. Slammers, pats perch, bbz its a great rod. I use a REVO Beast for a reel, its pricey the Daiwa Lexa 300 I think is the next best option overall. I also fish in a kayak primarily and havent had an issue with a 7'9 rod

Pushing a Revo Beast on mine as well!

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links