To all you trout guys, I've been lucky enough to catch many rainbow and brook trout through my first season of trout fishing, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I would like to finish off the season having accomplished a trout grand slam for the year and add a brown trout to my catch list. Given their lack of numbers compared to rainbows and brookies, I am kind of at a disadvantage, but think I can catch one before winter. So if anyone has any info they could share on catching brownies, I would really love to hear it. Bodies of water where they can be caught (not looking for guys' secret spots, just places where you know they've been stocked or where they've been caught before), the best lure approach, what depths (lakes/ponds) and parts of rivers and streams to target, and whatever else you have to offer. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I know browns are also getting ready to spawn soon, so info regarding fishing for them around the spawn would also be useful. Thanks!

Posted Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:37 pm

you wana catch a brown like this??
go outa state.

the ponds down the cape is they way to go! ive got into schools. 1-2lbsers. caught nothing but browns those days! night fishing is better for big browns, jerkbaits work at night for me!

ive done well in the fall and early spring. but seen biggons caught in may

Posted Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:02 am

Try Lout pd. A small/medium shiner under a float, all but a guarantee of a brown!! Nothing too big though 12-14".

Posted Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:30 am

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 pm

troutfreak

Need a boat though !!!
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dfw/habitat/maps-ponds/dfwquacu.pdf

not a problem! I have an 11' coleman crawdad that does the trick!

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Where can you catch native brookies around here?

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Small streams Wink

Not many people will share that, although there are a few people on here that might.

Some streams around here have them. Otherwise go to NH. 95% of the streams up there in any state park have brookies.

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:48 pm

NH is the way to go for brookies. It's kind of hard NOT to catch those little guys up there. The water is just so cold and clean, it's trout paradise up there! The place I caught all of mine when I went in July was probably 18 inches at the most. Small stream are a great options, and brookies are just such a beautiful fish

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:20 am

samf

Where can you catch native brookies around here?

NH is where i would start. but theres more streams around here with natives then most people think.

i know of 2 secrets with confirmed brookies. and i have 2 other places that may have em.

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links