Just thought I'd share a bit of info on this subject, since I sometimes see folks looking for options:

I've used the Cabelas 12 V 8 ah rechargeable battery for years and it's worked great. I plug it in, throw it in the kayak and go fishing with no worries. For $55 I got 2 batteries and a charger. I usually only need 1 battery for an all day outing. Can't beat that.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Rechargeable-Volt-Battery/700551.uts

Always looking to downsize and simplify, I found that for about $110 I could get 2 Rigid power tool 12v 4ah Lithium Ion batteries, a charger, and rig up a sealed connector to produce one of the smallest and lightest marine grade power options for use with a FF or other electronics. This is a great, fun, DIY project that works great for those that are interested. It's a little smaller but maybe not as simple as the above since you have to rig something up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-4-0-Ah-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Battery-2-Pack-AC820592/205358343?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CPLA%7CD25T%7CPowerTools&gclid=CN670vPL2sUCFVYSHwodypwAYQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I recently stumbled on another option that seems to have promise. The Nocqua pro power kit, designed specifically for this application, comes with 1 12v 4 ah Lithium Ion battery and charger and all the rigging you need; and it's on sale at ACK for $76. An additional battery is $60, making it ~$30 more than the jury-rigged solution mentioned above, but again it's designed for this application. The battery is smaller than the power tool batteries, has a silicon seal and another outer rubber casing to protect it from the elements, and a great little nylon pocket with velcro scraps for managing the cord and/or attaching to things. The kit also comes with marine grade cable/connectors and is super easy to assemble. I've only had it a short time now, but so far I'm really impressed with this little unit. Perfect for the kayak. The only thing I'm a little leery about is it only has a 6 month warranty. It's much smaller and simpler than either of the above options, albeit maybe a bit more costly. Hopefully the cost will come down as this is their 1st year I in production I believe. . Anyway, I'll try to keep you posted if interested. Just thought I'd share.

Posted Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links