I'm new to boston, just moved here from the Midwest, so I only am used to fishing ponds and such.. I live near the Charles River esplanade, my question is can I use my gear, or would I need to buy saltwater gear for the esplanade?

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Personally I've never fished that far down river but I've read a few things about guys catching bass as far down as the Museum of Science so you should be good to go with freshwater gear.

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Freshwater gear is just fine as the water isn't very brackish. The esplanade has some decent bass in it.

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Right across the river from the esplanade, in Cambridge, I have seen all sorts of fish -- bass, perch, panfish, carp, and schools of what I believe are herring. Mostly freshwater, with some runs of saltwater.

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Every year the New England Paralyzed Veterans of America host a bass tournament out of Brighton. Pretty much every boat takes the hour-long run down to the Esplanade. Definitely some good fish to be had down that way.

I've never made it that far, which is probably why me and my non-boater have never placed in the top three. Haha. We got close this year, and I did get lunker down that way.

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:44 am

You will only need 6 to 8lb line. No need for saltwater gear.

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips! Tight lines to all!

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:58 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links