I live in Wayland, MA, I was thinking of trying a few new places with my jon boat this weekend. I had a few in mind, Whitehall Reservoir? Merrimac River? Ashland Reservoir? I have a 9.9hp on it, so I cant go on any non-motorized ponds. If it is a smaller pond, I will consider just using my bow motor. I fish for Largemouth and am learning more about drop shotting and other techniques

All input is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks, Chris! Very Happy Very Happy

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Chauncy in westboro has some nice bass n also pike n tigers. Can be tough at times it gets pounded but has big fish.Also stump or A-1 as it is called can give up nice bass from time to time. Also located in Westboro. Northpond in Milford n Hopkinton could also be worth your time. Good luck! If u want some company give me a yell lol.

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Chauncy is good as well as a-1 just watch the stumps. You fish heards? Lake Cochituate has good fish. Whitehall is good but stay away on the weekend lots of tournies and pressure. Lake Winthrop in holliston is a solid spot. Lake boon in Hudson has some good fish. Depending how far you want to drive but lake ripple has big bass, lake singletary, webster, wallum, or lake pearl are some of the ones I like in central mass

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:45 pm

some of these you may not need or even want the 9.9: Dudley pond, Sudbury river ( rt 20 launch ), farm pond ( framingham ), Winthrop ( holliston ) Bartlett Pond ( northboro ), A spot Ive wanted to try is the wellesley college pond ( I think its called waban ). As mentioned A1, Chauncy are good. Whitehall gets pounded, its a gorgeous place though.

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 am

Bartlett Pond Huh? I drive by it all the time and wondered how it is. Looks really weedy

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:04 am

fisherman2401 do u have a boat cartopper or canoe? I dont know how it would be from shore. it is indeed pretty shallow the area to the left, but its got a little bit of water to the right...my first time there a couple years ago i pulled a 6 11 out of there, along with a few other nice fish, I havent been there yet this year but a buddy I told of it went there recently and did really well.

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 am

hagstah

fisherman2401 do u have a boat cartopper or canoe? I dont know how it would be from shore. it is indeed pretty shallow the area to the left, but its got a little bit of water to the right...my first time there a couple years ago i pulled a 6 11 out of there, along with a few other nice fish, I havent been there yet this year but a buddy I told of it went there recently and did really well.

I do a have a 14.5' canoe with a trolling motor. It's nice that place is driver pitching wedge from my house I will have to check it out for sure. You using live bait or worms?

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:07 am

Yes I've fished bartlett ad well. Doesn't get the pressure of the other ponds on lyman st. But if it doesn't produce, liitle Chauncy n Chauncy 5 min away lol. I love the fact that three good bass ponds all on same st. And yes some decent depth around the point on the right. More of the submerged type of grass weeds not thick matts.

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Actually for the longest time I thought I was fishing little Chauncy when in fact it was Bartlett.

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Do pretty well with soft plastics. Crank baits too. I think it has some nice crappies so I think small to medium shiners could do well there.

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:46 pm

hagstah

some of these you may not need or even want the 9.9: Dudley pond, Sudbury river ( rt 20 launch ), farm pond ( framingham ), Winthrop ( holliston ) Bartlett Pond ( northboro ), A spot Ive wanted to try is the wellesley college pond ( I think its called waban ). As mentioned A1, Chauncy are good. Whitehall gets pounded, its a gorgeous place though.

I actually live about2 miles upstream from the rt20 boat launch on the sudberrry, alright fishing there, but I've never tried that ramp, how is the fishing there? Is it very weedy or is it relitizally deep?

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:24 pm

going downstream u can get down to the bridge i think its rt126? might have trouble getting by with the motor, not sure.... going upstream is a little tricky going under the RR bridge, and then Pelham Island road bridge is pretty shallow. There is plenty of water right down the center, easy enough to fish either side. lots of perfect looking structure/cover but the fishing is totally hit or miss, I think but have not figured for sure if it has to do with current/water level.

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:05 pm

It's because of the constant water level change, I talked to a fishing buddie who fished there the other day, whenever the river gets higher, most of the fish migrate to heards pond or fair haven bay to stay out of the current

Posted Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 am

Like everyone else said, Chauncey, Winthrop, A-1, and North Pond are all great spots for big bass. I hate Whitehall to be honest with you. It gets so much pressure and is so busy with weekend recreation that it's near impossible to fish sometimes. You could check out Flint Pond in Worcester too. Big bass, big pickerel, and even some pike/tigers swimming around.

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:59 am

Jump on the internet and Google Maps. Pick an area, zoom in on the water and just go once you check ahead if it's off limits or not! We've found some nice places that way.

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:53 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links