This may sound very stupid to some of you bass fisherman out there, but I had a questions about tournaments.

I am looking to get into some tournaments, I saw on the state website which lists all the tournaments/permits on a waterway. I looked at a few of them on a local lake, but I simply don't understand it. Do you have to register in the spring and fish the whole trail? or can you pop into any tournaments? Im not into the money aspect of it, I just like fishing under pressure and time. I have a 12' Jon boat, some people told me I couldn't fish a tournament? Could somebody please explain this to me, I very confused, Thanks!

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:59 pm

A lot of Bass Clubs have there trail of tourneys they do and pull permits for them and you have to be a member of there club to fish but there are also Open Tournaments put on by bass clubs,baitshops etc. that anyone can do. Many of the Motorized Tourneys require you too have insurance but not all of them. Some Open Sign Ups are posted here.Do you have a gas motor or just an electric? because there's also Car Topper Tourneys.

Last edited by purpleturkey on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:09 pm

There's a tournament u could sign up for on August 15 as long as u have live wells . Its on maf southcoast bass anglers Glenn Charlie pond in Wareham

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:14 pm

dang

There's a tournament u could sign up for on August 15 as long as u have live wells . Its on maf southcoast bass anglers Glenn Charlie pond in Wareham

I wish I could make that! But im going on vacation that day ): I saw that post, also now I have to get boat insurance, but thats for letting me know. Good luck at that tourney and I hope to see some lunkers Wink

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:30 pm

dang

Dan I think SCBA is big boats only, but I could be wrong.

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Not all OPENS require insurance, its just something to be aware of,wouldn't want you to show up for one that does and you not be able to fish.Just ask when you sign up. You can also hold your own tourney, post something on here and see if anyone is interested.

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Dont you need a Permit first for a tourney, if not I was thinking of having one?

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Call it a Get Together Amongst Friends n just make sure there isn't a tourney already there that day,someone complains just play dumb,lol

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Ok, lol thanks sounds good!

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm

I would suggest fishing some tournaments first, before planning to run one yourself. =)

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 pm

kenwood

I would suggest fishing some tournaments first, before planning to run one yourself. =)

Agreed!

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:30 pm

FYI southcoast bass is a great trail to get your feet wet in tournament fishing. Great group of anglers all levels. Most tourneys require that you have a 16 ft fi with working live wells and insurance. We feel that insurance should be had by all participants to cover you and others in case something happens. As far as the size of your boat we really don't care if you use a. 8 ft john boat with live well system and you can sit in that for 8 hours no problem. Ask mr Perron he does. Dry well in his rig remember big fish live in skinny water at times. Think about it no bs just fishing

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah, Thanks for the advice guys, I did fish a few tournaments with my father, I was just on the boat for fun, this was years back in FL though, so I will probably see if I can catch a few tournaments this summer/fall and see if I have enough experience next season.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links