Just switched over to a right handed baitcaster for my top water fishing. Having a hard time walking the dog with the handle on the right side and working it with my left hand. For years I have been using a spinning rod and have no issues.( reel handle on left side) Any suggestions, should I get a left handed baitcaster. I am right handed

Thanks
Anthony

Posted Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:39 am

I had same issue going from lefty spin to baitcaster.

Just practice, practice , practice!

But, I went to lefty baitcasters! haha!

Posted Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:57 am

I had the exact same thought when I switched to a baitcaster. Stick with it, soon enough it will feel natural to you.

Posted Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:29 am

My first bait caster was a righty. I'm right handed. I hated casting and then switching hands. All my bait casters are lefty now. It feels more natural.

Posted Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:13 pm

My spinning gear has the handle on the left. When I got my first baitcaster, the handle was also on the left. I figured this would feel natural for me, but it did not. I switched to a righty baitcaster and I was instantly more comfortable. There is a science behind it with the dominant hand and so on, but I just know what feels best for me. Switching while the lure is in flight is not an issue at this point. Just go with what feels best for you and keep practicing. It'll feel natural in no time!

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm

My baitcaster has the handle on the right side and I find it extremely comfortable and enjoyable to fish. After a couple trips you'll probably discover this if you stay persistent and you will get pretty well ued to it for sre. If you still decide to get a lefty reel and want to get rid of that other one then I'm your guy by the way lol.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Try walking the dog using just sharp turns of the handle. Also, make sure to use heavy(20lb) test MONO line. Heavier line floats, and will help with the action.

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:39 pm

im a lefty on the spinning gear, i have righty and lefty bait casters that i love. but i do like that lefty a tad better

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links