How many of you use a fish finder from your boat? Anyone use one from a kayak? How helpful are they to you? Do you catch more fish because of it? Anyone know how well you can see fish on a really cheap one?

Casting a wide net with these questions. Any feedback regarding fish finders would help me out. Trying to decide if I should pick one up. Thanks.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:00 pm

slabosourous

How many of you use a fish finder from your boat? Anyone use one from a kayak? How helpful are they to you? Do you catch more fish because of it? Anyone know how well you can see fish on a really cheap one?

Casting a wide net with these questions. Any feedback regarding fish finders would help me out. Trying to decide if I should pick one up. Thanks.

I don't use one, but my dad has some older cheap one and whenever we go in his boat we wind up 'fishing the fish finder' instead of looking at the lake with our eyeballs and deciding where to fish. It usually provides more frustration than success. Seeing fish on the screen and buzzing every lure you have past them without a strike is tough.

That being said, I also use a Fenwick casting rod from the 1960s and a direct drive baitcaster not much newer than that. Someday I'll catch up with modern fishing.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm

I have one on my kayak, its a basic simple one,depth, bit of bottom contour and the water temps. It absolutely helps me catch more fish not by marking them neccesarily but by finding the depths I want,the offshore weeds I like and the bottom structure. It does mark fish pretty well also and I've caught fish I've seen on the screen but I've also gotten lots of perch n Crappie bites fishing the screen. I bought the Hummingbird Piranhamax Portable set up about 4 years ago,it came with a good,small battery and I haven't had any issues at all. I do plan to upgrade eventually though,something with GPS and down scan or side scsn or whatever the newest tech is.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks guys.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:00 pm

I use mine from my kayak and I love it. I dont use it to actually find images of fish but mostly for depth and structure. It's a great investment and will help you learn the pond and figure out where the fish are hiding that day. The setup that I have fits right in front of me on my kayak and is sturdy.

Posted Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links