Anyone know where I would start my quest to catch a bowfin? Bowfin and a big small mouth are on my bucket list this year

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:24 pm

I wish I could help you on bowfin but I have no experience at all. Internet said they are in ct river. So maybe you can try there. Also, smallmouth is in ct river too.

Although, there are more better choice to catch huge smallmouth bass in quabbin or waschusetts. If you don't want to fish that far, go look up on best bet smallmouth bass in Massachusetts on google search. You will find state's list of pond's name for you.

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Locally, tauton river. BEST bet Lake Champlain

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:17 pm

Wow. That's awesome. How big is that bowfin? Congrats.

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Try The Oxbow in the Connecticut River. Lots of bowfin (and everything else) in that stretch of water

http://connecticutriver.us/site/content/connecticut-river-oxbow-easthampton-state-boat-ramp

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:21 pm

We did the taunton from bridgewater through raynham and into taunton today. We couldn't hook any bowfin but saw them well over 10 lbs.. Occasioanly , a white sucker would be flailing at the surface. Watching the sucker would invariably lead to us siting the reason the sucker was on top. I would have never guessed the bowfin were that large. Some of the victim suckers were over 12"s. We did catch an assortment of small warm water fish while dunking large chubs on the trip. Some impressive scenery!!!

Posted Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:27 pm

That trip is on my list too this year. Going to wait for it to warm up a bit though. Bring the mini grill and make a day of it. Glad to hear its a good time. Hopefully put on a Bowfin.

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 am

I didn't know they were so abundant in the Taunton River, thats sweet, they are on my list as well.

I've been told by people that they have caught them in some of the ponds connecting to the Brockton Rez.

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 12:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links