Hey all,

Over the past 2-3 years I have done more saltwater fishing than freshwater. This was due to a couple things, mostly how weed choked a lot of the waters are up my way (North East Mass, think Chelmsford/Lowell/Tyngsboro). It was just frustrating. I love Merrimack river fishing, but that can be very hot or ice cold based on river level, rain, etc. So I just sorta stopped going out much.

The trip I had for my birthday to Rodman Reservoir in Florida (it's posted here somewhere) has rekindled my freshwater love! I spent a lot of time talking to my guide about things and I feel I have the tools and ideas to get into the spots I used to avoid up here. Bought my first casting reel and heavier power rod for the 1st time in like 15 years.

I know I can travel the state looking for other waters, but after a long work day or after a long week at work, I would like to stay local most of the time, and that's going to require a change in tactics and equipment.

Excited as of now, going to try and hit it this Spring/Summer.

Can folks leave suggestions for best braid they like for heavy weed fishing? I was leaning towards the Maxima braid, but not set on anything. Thanks!

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:48 pm

rangerdanger

grayrider16

Hey all,

Over the past 2-3 years I have done more saltwater fishing than freshwater. This was due to a couple things, mostly how weed choked a lot of the waters are up my way (North East Mass, think Chelmsford/Lowell/Tyngsboro). It was just frustrating. I love Merrimack river fishing, but that can be very hot or ice cold based on river level, rain, etc. So I just sorta stopped going out much.

The trip I had for my birthday to Rodman Reservoir in Florida (it's posted here somewhere) has rekindled my freshwater love! I spent a lot of time talking to my guide about things and I feel I have the tools and ideas to get into the spots I used to avoid up here. Bought my first casting reel and heavier power rod for the 1st time in like 15 years.
I know I can travel the state looking for other waters, but after a long work day or after a long week at work, I would like to stay local most of the time, and that's going to require a change in tactics and equipment.

Can folks leave suggestions for best braid they like for heavy weed fishing? I was leaning towards the Maxima braid, but not set on anything. Thanks!

cant go wrong with power pro.

Thanks Ranger! I LOVE fishing deep water in summer, but if I am going to do much fishing, I have to fish the waters in front of me. So yes! I have frog baits and snake topwater plastics and bought a St. Croix Mojo 6'8" frog and slop rod with Pfleuger Supreme baitcaster reel. Ready to roll.

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:04 pm

rangerdanger

grayrider16

Hey all,

cant go wrong with power pro.

You can if you buy the Super Slick stuff. It doesn't cut through weed even half as well as the regular Power Pro braid.

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:16 pm

I prefer Suffix braid 80#. Can't say I've fished many braids, but don't need to because this stuff works great for me. 7' 6" rod is a must, especially for frogging because you need to be able to take up line at long distances. Most guys aren't willing to get into the nastiest stuff, good news for those who do. I love punching mats! You should give it a try if your local lake has good mats at least 4' deep. It's a game of patience, you can flip for 3 hours, then you're on em. You probably won't see the punching technique useful until late summer when water levels go down and the weeds mat up.

Posted Fri May 13, 2016 8:27 pm

I prefer Suffix braid 80#. Can't say I've fished many braids, but don't need to because this stuff works great for me. 7' 6" rod is a must, especially for frogging because you need to be able to take up line at long distances. Most guys aren't willing to get into the nastiest stuff, good news for those who do. I love punching mats! You should give it a try if your local lake has good mats at least 4' deep. It's a game of patience, you can flip for 3 hours, then you're on em. You probably won't see the punching technique useful until late summer when water levels go down and the weeds mat up.

Posted Fri May 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Try fins braid, i use to use suffix exclusively until i found out about fins from a guide on okeechobee. Awesome for casting into the wind and cutting through slop

Posted Fri May 13, 2016 11:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links