So, Im new to the site and trying to take advantage of all this sites resources. I took my 10' Pelican Bass Raider to Lake Nippinickett and I was very disappointed. It was my first time there and it seemed like a what was just a shallow weedy pond at best. I had to pull my transducer out of the water as it was just becoming another thing for Milfoil to wrap around. I think i seen a few swirls from Pumpkinseed the whole day with no bites of any sort. I noticed there were a few hidden boulders as I nearly ripped my trolling motor clear from my transom. The dark tea colored water wasn't best for sight fishing and the depth of the whole pond must be an average of 5'. I wasn't sure how to approach this place for success. I couldn't imagine how thick the weeds got mid-summer. Any lunkers coming out of there must have been few and far between with such a shallow depths. I found strategies like fishing points and drop offs were non existent. Sorry if this comes off as negative, but my experiences there were nothing fantastic.

Any Tips ?

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:23 pm

The Nip is loaded with Lunkers.... I've been fishing there for a couple decades and still have horrible days there sometimes. The slop gets so thick you can almost walk on it but that's where the Bigguns hide,underneath it. Super shallow and it only gets shallower as summer progresses but Largemouth Bass don't care as long as there's food and cover.

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Yeah, the Nip can be tough at times, but it's typically the kind of place where, if you catch a 5+ in a tournament, you'll likely not get lunker because someone will bring in a 6+. Haha.

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:35 pm

purpleturkey

The Nip is loaded with Lunkers.... I've been fishing there for a couple decades and still have horrible days there sometimes. The slop gets so thick you can almost walk on it but that's where the Bigguns hide,underneath it. Super shallow and it only gets shallower as summer progresses but Largemouth Bass don't care as long as there's food and cover.

Is it a cartopper only pond ?
I wouldn't even dare bringing a $5,000-$45,000 boat there
Too risky

As for it holding lunkers, I wasnt even getting bites with jigs and weightless plastics. Must've just been a bad day for me i suppose.
When my self esteem restores I might make another trip lol

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm

kenwood

Yeah, the Nip can be tough at times, but it's typically the kind of place where, if you catch a 5+ in a tournament, you'll likely not get lunker because someone will bring in a 6+. Haha.

Lol that raises my spirits after such an uneventfull morning

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:37 pm

There are Big Boat Tourneys there pretty much every Sat n Sun from spring until fall. It's like any lake you take a motorboat into, if you don't know it you gotta go slow until you do know it.
For me its always been a worm n spinnerbait pond but like I said I still have terrible days there.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:07 am

search the board for Nip results from tournaments, you will see many 20 lb bags. as others have said, it's loaded with pigs.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 am

Ive seen monster bags and big fish come out of there, but Ive never been able to put together a decent bag but I only fish 2 or 3 times a year

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:04 am

Definitely a lake that takes 5-10 trips to learn it. also it changes a lot from season to season. I have been there 25-30 times and I am now comfortable with where can run and if the waters at normal full pool or above I can run between the islands and all the way out back. Helps going early in the spring when waters clear and weeds are down to learn and map all the hazards.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:48 pm

I also have been fishing this pond many years, and took quite a few to figure it out. However, there are giant bass in there and have a shot at a big one just about every time going there. As noted above those big bass use that thick cover to hide and ambush from.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links