I'm planning on hitting Quabbin this weekend for some Smallmouths. Has anybody been hitting them and have they moved up shallow yet? Planning on hitting Dana point.

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 pm

I havent gone in some time; last time was in late May. At that time we had NO luck catching anything. Dont know if it was just the day or time of the year but it wasnt good. Not like the good ole days of Qubbin. Plus, the other thing that sucks is the fee that you pay to "clean" your boat (think its $35 or so). But regardless, good luck to ya buddy and like I say...any day fishing is better than any day working! Cheers!

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 am

lil guys that i caught prob last month

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:54 am

Been there 4 times in 3 weeks -ASK me anything ya like---I spent 4 years roaming those hills for a sales job-LOVE THE Q

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Dave were the smallies still deep? Just looking to set up a game plan. It will probably change but would like a general idea.

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 pm

The Past two times I was there it was still all about the Larry's.
I'm not sure about the smallies---though there are so many species and this is my first season back 'inland' so I didn't really get "specific" to species---I was more or less HAPPY as HELL to get the Larry's

Posted Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has shore fished Fishing Area 3 on the southeastern side of the Quabbin rez for smallmouths.

I hope to get out there one day this weekend, probably not in time to rent a motor boat though, so it looks like I'll be working the shoreline north from the boat launch area since they don't allow private kayaks to be launched.

I'm hoping the fish will be fairly shallow this time of year and within casting range.

I'll try all the usual bait suspects but if anyone has suggestions of anything specific they're hitting that would be great.

I looked into kayak rentals but they don't allow them on the rez - only on the 'regulated pond' - Pottapaug.

I was curious as to why, and called the Visitor Center. They told me it was mostly a safety issue because of the size of the water body, variability of weather conditions, and the fact that many of the renters would be 'daytrippers' - basically, clueless neophytes.

They also said with kayaks there tends to be more human contact with the water than motorboats, so that is another concern.

Kind of ironic that a motor boat that could spill gas and oil is less of a concern than a human being touching the water - they don't think fishermen in the motor boats put their hands in the water? They actually said gas/oil spills are not a big concern because of the way they will dissipate on their own. Hmmm.

The good news is they told me the water level is about 3 feet below full, so there should be plenty of shoreline open for casting and walking.

If there's not much action from the rez shore with smallies, I figure I could always rent a kayak and go out on Pottapaug pond in the afternoon and try for some largemouths - that will be the backup plan.

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links