Lead free starts in New Hampshire June 1st. I wonder if they will be more strict than Mass?? NH game and fish- Says first fine is 250$ and possible 1 year loss of license. The ban is only for Jig style and sinkers up to and including 1 ounce. Spinnerbaits , chatterbaits plugs there is no restrictions

Posted Wed May 18, 2016 9:51 am

Considering I've been stopped by the epo every year at least once since the lead ban in Mass and never got checked for lead, I'd say anything NH does will be stricter. Ma EPO cares about life jackets and registration/license.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm

I agree Shawn. Probably cause there is at least 1 family of loons at every lake I fish in New Hampshire. It also seems like New Hampshire is advertising more about the lead free ban than Mass did.

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 6:15 am

I've been pulled over and checked multiple times but they've never checked for lead or any of my fishing tackle. Only comments about the number of rods I had.

I still haven't seen a loon in MA other than the Quabbin.

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 7:40 am

Last guy was impressed with your rod

Selection

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 10:31 am

Where do you losers fish that you keep getting checked? I have fished for 30+ years and have NEVER been approached by an EPO or asked to show my license.

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 5:41 pm

stratos1966

Where do you losers fish that you keep getting checked? I have fished for 30+ years and have NEVER been approached by an EPO or asked to show my license.

Lol ive never been checked either but ive got less "experience" ps. Nice win the other day

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 6:31 pm

tunasty13

stratos1966

Lol ive never been checked either but ive got less "experience" ps. Nice win the other day

Thanks

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 6:58 pm

stratos1966

tunasty13

stratos1966

Thanks

Like everyone else, EPO sees Mr. Awesome and they want to meet me

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 7:21 pm

stratos1966

Your spots haha

Posted Sat May 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Is there a new lead law in NH? The reason I ask is there's been a lead law for almost 8 years now in NH. Have they amended it or added to it?

Posted Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Yes Jay. They've changed it

Please take note: On June 1, 2016, the laws prohibiting the use and sale of certain lead sinkers and jigs will change to include all sinkers and jigs with a total weight of one ounce or less.

Posted Mon May 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Stricter than MA?

This is right off MA's website, "The use of any lead fishing sinkers and lead jigs weighing less than 1 ounce is now prohibited in all Massachusetts inland waters (freshwater). Examples of prohibited tackle weighing less than 1 ounce include but are not limited to: split shot, bottom-bumping jigs, bullet weights, lead sinkers, or jigs which are painted, "skirted", or otherwise covered with rubber or other substance."

Stinks, but it is what it is...

Last edited by dogbone_384 on Mon May 23, 2016 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon May 23, 2016 8:06 pm

shawneramone

Considering I've been stopped by the epo every year at least once since the lead ban in Mass and never got checked for lead, I'd say anything NH does will be stricter. Ma EPO cares about life jackets and registration/license.

That's the beauty of selective enforcement. If you know any cops, ask them if they've written any tickets for drivers that don't have their headlights on when using windshield wipers, which is now a law in MA.

Posted Mon May 23, 2016 8:08 pm

I saw at loon at the Sudbury Reservoir this spring.

What I don't understand, is why do the tackle shops in MA (probably NH too?) sell the prohibited lead items?

I bought some out of ignorance, and when I learned about the law I started switching over to steel and tin.

When I started fishing last season I assumed EPOs would be everywhere but I've yet to encounter or even see one. I'm guessing they focus primarily on bigger, more popular waterways.

Nonetheless, I'm ready, though if they rifled my tackle box they might find a piece of lead I don't use anymore.

Posted Tue May 24, 2016 5:50 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links