Here we go! The next MAKB tournament is at Ponkapoag Pond in Canton in two weeks. This is a relatively smaller pond, so I am going to cap it at 15. We've got 10 so far.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/YE9MpAH2RWv (1067 Randolph Street, Canton, MA)

Check-in: 4:30–5:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 5:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 6 AM to 2 PM

Entry Fee: $50

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You MUST have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

This is an excellent spot, though. Shallow, weeds, pads, some rocks, and big fish!

Big pickerel, too, so bring an extra $10 and a scale if you want to get in on a side pool for lunker pickerel (some are too long for the measuring boards). Winner takes all.

Bit of a hike to the pond, so bring a cart if you have one.

As always, if you plan to fish, please go to the event page (linked below) and click GOING (or just reply to this thread if you do not have a Facebook page). If you know anyone who might be interested, please share this link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1633940453493211

See next reply for official rules.

Posted Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 pm

Official Rules

Welcome to the Massachusetts Kayak Bassin’ Tournament Series! Our inaugural season will consist of ten individual tournaments. Please join us for some great, competitive events!

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool).

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

d. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

b. Highest aggregate length wins.

c. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

d. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent (no flat measuring boards). See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier at registration, which must be clearly visible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up (the dorsal fin does not need to be in the up position).
c. Photographs must be taken from an angle close to directly above the fish. Photographs taken at a more severe angle are subject to deductions.

d. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”
e. You may use your fingers to pinch the mouth closed as long as the fish’s eye is visible and you can clearly see that the lip is touching the “lip” of the board.

f. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

g. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

h. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

i. You may restrain your fish with a clip or fish grips (side of the mouth ONLY), or leave the hook in the fish’s mouth (though this is potentially dangerous and not recommended).

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Posted Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm in if there's still room!

Posted Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:01 pm

tomp

I'm in if there's still room!

There is always room for you, Tom.

Posted Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Giggady!

Posted Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:26 am

It's shaping up to be a great day on Saturday. Relatively light wind, partly cloudy, and 75 degrees!

Come on out and join us! Still have room for a few more. =)

Posted Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 pm

We've got 12 signed up. Room for a few more.

Posted Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:39 am

kenwood

We've got 12 signed up. Room for a few more.

Oooohhh Yeah, weather's looking sweet!

Posted Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Results and report (hope you got the new phone sorted, Tom!):

And so tournament #4 is in the books!

The day started foggy and ended rainy. The forecast I watched called for rain at 3 PM. But of course it started at 1 PM--and it was cold! It also stopped the moment we got off the water. Figures.

Anyway, I caught most of my fish on spinnerbaits, but all were relatively small. The foggy morning was begging for topwater baits, but no matter what I threw--frog, Whopper Plopper, buzzbait, etc.--the fish weren't biting. For me, anyway. I had 72 inches total.

Ed Neely had a pretty good day, catching all his on topwater. He had five fish for 74 inches, which got him third place. Unfortunately, with just six people showing up we only paid out two spots.

Donald Davis​ and his brother-in-law, Jim Coleman​ found them out "deep" and they both came in with 85.5 inches.

And so the tie-breaker went to the angler with the biggest fish, which happened to be Donald Davis. Again. Don's big fish went 21 inches, good enough to secure first place and lunker!

Since we only paid out two spots, that means Jim took second. Congrats, fellas!

Thanks to everyone who came out! Despite the final hour downpour, it was a damn good time.

Next one is Snipatuit. Hope to see you there! =)

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:06 pm

Good work, guys. Congrats to all. Before we started, I commented that I have not yet lost a phone in one of these tourneys. Talk about the kiss of death! Caught a 23.5 inch/almost 4 lb er and was pumped only to have him squirm while on the Hawg Trough causing me to drop my phone in the water while trying to photo. Went from extreme high to extreme low in an instant! I have since gotten wiser and purchased a waterproof phone case which can connect to a lanyard so the phone will only go in if I go in. (Did I just say that?!) Now all I have to do is try to figure out how to take a picture from "directly above" the fish while not being able to look at the phone. Ken, maybe you can do a demo video on this. New phone is on the way through insurance. One of the prompts for placing the insurance claim was "Press 2 if you lost your phone but know where it is like at the bottom of a lake". Old phone reactivated for now so back in business.

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:42 pm

tomp

Good work, guys. Congrats to all. Before we started, I commented that I have not yet lost a phone in one of these tourneys. Talk about the kiss of death! Caught a 23.5 inch/almost 4 lb er and was pumped only to have him squirm while on the Hawg Trough causing me to drop my phone in the water while trying to photo. Went from extreme high to extreme low in an instant! I have since gotten wiser and purchased a waterproof phone case which can connect to a lanyard so the phone will only go in if I go in. (Did I just say that?!) Now all I have to do is try to figure out how to take a picture from "directly above" the fish while not being able to look at the phone. Ken, maybe you can do a demo video on this. New phone is on the way through insurance. One of the prompts for placing the insurance claim was "Press 2 if you lost your phone but know where it is like at the bottom of a lake". Old phone reactivated for now so back in business.

That bass was 23.5 inches? Unless it was really skinny, it should have been well over 4lb. Don caught a 5.3 and it was just 21 inches.

Anyway, I'll show you some "tips and tricks" next time. Next tourney is at Snipatuit on June 25. =)

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Tom I'm sorry you lost your phone, that sucks!!!! Not too add insult too injury but I agree with Ken,a 23.5 incher was probably more like 5.5 lbs or more.

I put the fence end of My Hawg Trough in the cockpit on my shin and the measuring end on the edge of the cockpit, I also try and angle it so it faces my head so my phone is at my face when I take the picture. Even so I've still lost fish in 2 of the last 3 tourneys.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 am

The fish definitely looked more than 5 to my eye. I weighed it after the lost phone so I could have been flustered and didn't zero the scale out properly. Or I could have mis-remembered the length. I did have a few picture attempts before the phone went in the drink so we'll see what the photos from the cloud show when I get the new phone today. Either way, congrats on the win, Don!

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links