Our regular series may be done for the year, but we are not. We'll do some pick-up tournaments until it becomes too cold to fish. The next one will be a "zone" tournament at Canton Reservoir.

How this format work is, we'll quarter the lake with buoy markers. Prior to launch, we will do a random draw to see which zone—A, B, C or D—each angler will start in. Anglers will be restricted to each zone for two hours, at which time they rotate to the next zone.

The order in which you will fish each zone will be as follows:

A, B, C, D
B, C, D, A
C, D, A, B
D, A, C, B

We will also be using TourneyX for this tournament as a trial run for next year (so you will need a cell phone with Internet access). TourneyX is, as its tagline states, a "real-time tournament management" system. As you catch fish, you will upload each photo to TourneyX.com, which will then keep track of everything in real time.

If you plan on fishing this tournament or any future MAKB tournament, please create an angler account here:

https://tourneyx.com/angler-signup

Once you do that, register for the tournament here:

https://tourneyx.com/tournament/massachusetts-kayak-bassin-zone-tournament

If you have any questions, please ask.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location (92 Pleasant Street, Canton, MA): https://goo.gl/maps/bow6GEexCA92

Check-in: 7:30 AM–8:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 9 AM to 5 PM

Entry Fee: $50

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You MUST have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access, as we will be using TourneyX to track upload and score our fish. We go by length, not weight, so you need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

As always, if you plan to fish, please go to the event page (linked below) and click GOING (or just reply to this thread if you do not have a Facebook page). If you know anyone who might be interested, please share this link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/313708988994901

See below for official rules.

Hope to see you there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Massachusetts Kayak Bassin’ Tournament Series! Our inaugural season will consist of ten individual tournaments. Please join us for some great, competitive events!

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool).

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

e. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

b. Highest aggregate length wins.

c. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

d. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent (no flat measuring boards). See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

d. A PFD (i.e. life vest) must be worn at ALL times.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier at registration, which must be clearly visible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up (the dorsal fin does not need to be in the up position).
c. Photographs must be taken from an angle close to directly above the fish. Photographs taken at a more severe angle are subject to deductions.

d. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”
e. You may use your fingers to pinch the mouth closed as long as the fish’s eye is visible and you can clearly see that the lip is touching the “lip” of the board.

f. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

g. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

h. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

i. You may restrain your fish with a clip or fish grips (side of the mouth ONLY), or leave the hook in the fish’s mouth (though this is potentially dangerous and not recommended).

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Last edited by kenwood on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Bump!

We have 8 signed up right now, possibly 9 if Shawn (sardinehunter) joins us. Weather is looking good right now (no rain, anyway). Hope to see you there!

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 am

We're at 13 now, so we're going to cap it there. We'll take alternates if anyone else is interested.

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 pm

We have postponed this tournament till next Saturday, October 29. The wind is just going to be too much for kayak fishing, at least on most bodies of water.

So next Saturday! Hope to see you there.

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 pm

Report/results...

Seven of us ventured out to Canton Reservoir today for a "zone" tournmanet, where we were all restricted to one zone every two hours. It was an interesting format on a pretty tough day.

We used TourneyX for the first time. I've used it in KBF tourneys, but it was different using it in a live tournament, where you can check the standings and see how good--or bad--you're doing. It adds a nice new element of stress to a tournament, that's for sure. Haha.

From the start, Chris Diranian​ was killing it. Before most of us even had a fish, he had three bass for 50+ inches. By the time I finally caught my first bass, he had over 63. That jumped to 78 shortly after. Talk about demoralizing!

Anyway, moving baits were getting me nothing but pickerel, so I managed to slow things down (which is really hard for me to do) and get a limit. Just five, and it took all day (my fifth was caught in the last hour). They went for 68.25 inches and nabbed me third place.

Donald Davis​ once again placed in the money, taking lunker with an 18.25-incher.

Second place went to Domenic Eno​, who hauled in a solid 72.25 inches of bass on a variety of baits.

As mentioned above, Chris was on fire today, fishing extremely shallow with a fluke. His five went for 80.75, which was more than enough to best the field.

You can view the complete results at the link below:

https://tourneyx.com/tournament/massachusetts-kayak-bassin-zone-tournament

Congrats, everyone! And thanks for coming out. Good times as usual. =)

Posted Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links