I'm in Andover, know the area extremely well for every fish EXCEPT carp. I have yet to catch one, and would like to very bad. I'm only 2 miles from the Ballardvalle damn on the Shawsheen, and i know they're isn't any there. where could i find some farther upstream closer to the Merrimack?

Posted Sun May 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I'd be surprised if there aren't any in that area. Most of the rivers/lakes and other things in that watershed have carp in them. Many people do not know they are there, but many times they are.

In theory anywhere along that river you can find a deep cut will have a chance to hold fish. You should be able to follow it up stream toward the M'mack and simply look for accessable areas. Of course once you hit the M'mack you can look for spots all along it. Many areas hold carp or will at least offer the chance at cruising shoals.

Things to check a spot for;

Water depth, carp can be found in anything 2 foot and above really. The perfect depth is roughly 3-10 feet but they will frequent almost any depth.

Currents, if you can find a deep section that is a break from the current or a back-flow where food stuffs will tend to collect you could have a goldmine.

Food sources, over hanging fruit trees, close to the water gardens, restaurants near the water etc can all lead to carp hanging around looking for freebies.

Water inflows, drains emptying, small streams entering etc will usually have carp hanging around for various reasons like oxygen, food water temps etc.

Anyway hope that helps. As always be ready when fishing for carp. Have a net capable of landing them, something to support their weight and keep them off the ground. Please use proper handling, safety, rigs and respect for these and all fish. Too many people neglect fish care and spread disease, maim/hurt/beat up fish or even worse kill their catch through ignorance.

Posted Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links