I just bought an 8 foot bass fishing boat from Dick's. and then picked up a Minn Kota Endura C55 trolling motor. I need help on what to get for a battery and a charger. I am very new to fishing ( just started shore fishing last year) so I need specifics on what to get for the battery and charger. Thanks for any help.

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 pm

just a standard marine deep cycle will work, most of them are big and heavy unless you spend some more money and get a optima ( the ones that have blue tops) You can use a car battery but they wont last as long and they are not designed for continues charging and draining. As for the charger a reguler 12 volt charger will work. You can buy on- board chargers or battery mantainers but if you kill your battery which might happen quite often depending on how much you use, it will take quite sometime to charge.

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:29 pm

If you want to get your monies worth look for an AC DELCO VOYAGER dealer and buy one of them. They are sealed so you don't need to keep checking/adding water and they LAST. I am on year 4 of the two I bought for my 24 volt system. You wont be sorry.
As far as chargers, a standard 12v charger you can get at sears or walmart will work fine. You can get models that have a switch to go from standard 12v to 12v deep cycle. You want to charg you battery after each and every use and do it right away when you get home. Do not overcharge either 6 - 8 hours max is all it should take to fully charge a battery. The biggest cause of battery faliure is maintainance. Not charging right away and leaving the battery in a state of discharge for long periods of time and over charging or cooking your battery, weakinging the electrolights and the plates.

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 am

i would get a charger with maintenance mode so you can just leave it on without worrying about over or under charging. something like this if you have time to leave it charging overnight.

i have a sealed battery so i don't have to deal with adding water and all that. they're safer too.

do NOT skimp out on a battery / charger. you will save money and a hassle in the long run.

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 am

those voyager batteries are amazing! Mine lasted for about six years. Had two for my trolling motor

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links