Thanks to those who helped with ideas for the 2014 Kayak Tourney Trail. Watch for posting and sign ups beginning at 9:00PM 2 Sundays prior to scheduled Tournament date as well as any changes. Here's the lineup:

May 3- A-1 Stump Pond (Westborough)
May 17- Ponkapoag (Canton)
May 31- Charles River (Waltham)
June 14- Farm Pond (Framingham)
June 28- Lake Boone (Stow)
July 12- Dudley Pond (Wayland)
July 26- Quaboag Pond (Brookfield/East Brookfield)
August 9- Singletary Lake (Millbury)
August 23- Lake Chauncy (Westborough)
September 6- Great Herring Pond (Plymouth)
September 20- Red Bridge Pool (Ludlow)
October 4- Neponset Reservoir (Foxboro)

MAFF Kayak / Canoe Tournament Rules

1. All boats must be human powered, pedal or paddle; no motors or sails.

2. Entry fees are paid per person; fees will not be less than $10 nor more than $25 to be determined by the tournament host. All fees are to be paid prior to launch. Participants arriving after launch may still participate in the tournament by paying their fee to a tournament official within the first two hours of the tournament; it is the participant's responsibility to locate the tournament officials on the water.

3. Multi-person boats are acceptable; each person pays the entry fee.

4. Artificial lures only, no live or formerly live bait.

5. All participants must have a valid in-state fishing license.

6. Start and end times are final and absolute...unless voted otherwise by a majority of participants.

7. Digital camera and digital scale are required equipment.

8. Scales will be calibrated against a standardized weight prior to tournament start and a handicap established for those weighing light or heavy.

9. Default unit measurement is pounds and ounces. Another unit of measure may be used based on a review of the participants’ scales and subject to a majority vote by the group.

10. Two photos of each fish, must include (1) a full body shot and (2) a clear shot of the scale digital readout and head of fish. Minimum weight for a fish is 1 lb.

11. Remove lures from fish BEFORE photographing them. Visible lures in photos will incur a 1 ounce penalty for each infraction.

12. Unclear or questionable scale readings will be subject to review and vote by the group.

13. A scorecard is provided to each participant; participants are responsible for writing in the weights of their fish and totaling them.

14. Completed scorecards and photos must be submitted to tournament officials. Officials will review photos against the scorecard, verify the math, convert the total to the appropriate measure if necessary. Participant and official will sign the scorecard. Signed score cards are FINAL.

15. Up to five fish may be submitted; highest aggregate weight wins the tournament. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker goes to the person with the largest fish. In the case of a tie for lunker, the tie breaker goes to the person with the next largest fish.

16. Payouts: First Place=50%, Second Place=30%, Third Place=10%, Lunker=10%; these are general guidelines, amounts may be adjusted nominally to facilitate distribution of the kitty.

Last edited by tomp on Tue May 06, 2014 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:43 pm

May 3rd can't come soon enough! Thanks Tom.

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Looks very nice.... so there are no limits of participants?

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Typically 10-12 participants, there will most definitely be a limit.

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm

nice to see this trail still going, well done guys!

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Great herring is gonna be a tough fish in a kayak.

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:18 pm

kizel13

Great herring is gonna be a tough fish in a kayak.

I agree it's very big and windy

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 pm

NOT for me! That is my stomp ground!!! I'm definitely down for this Great Herring pond! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:14 am

Big and windy has nothing to do with it. All the boat traffic and it would be unsafe with all the jetskis and s***.

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:17 am

We have plenty of time to change the venue if we so decide. I appreciate the input from those in the know.

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:13 am

Great job Tom...Thanks for the time/effort setting up....Mikey and I will try and make several events. Mike

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 am

ahh, it's finally starting to feel like Spring is coming.

Thanks Tom!

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:18 am

Looks great Tom - thanks for organizing. Can't wait to get out!

Posted Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:44 am

Appreciate you pulling this together, Tom. Stump is the perfect place to kick it off.

Posted Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:02 pm

This looks great, I look forward to participating in at least half of the tournaments.

EDIT: Is a smartphone camera ok to use as digital camera? I will usually have access to a waterproof digital camera, but in case I don't I wanted to make sure I could use my phones camera.

Posted Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:59 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links