One of the best places for kids and their parents to fish is the Brookline reservoir. This body of water has a surprising variety of fish in it. I have caught or seen caught the following species:

Bluegills, Pumpkin seed, Crappie, Yellow Perch, Trout, Large mouth bass, and Pickerel. They also say that there are some rather large carps in the reservoir as well but I have not seen them.

All areas of the water are accessible from the shore. There is usually on street parking available and park benches are located in several places around the pond.

The greatest challenge in fishing this body of water are the pedestrians walking, jogging and standing around asking you questions about what fish you are catching.

The west end of the reservoir is shallow and sandy. Its starting to get a bit weedy at that end. However, the west is where the sunfish, Bass and Pickerel live.

The middle area is more rocky with a cobble stone like bottom structure, it tends to be much cooler then the west end. This area is where the Yellow perch and the crappie hold.

The East end of the reservoir is the deepest and coldest part of the pond. The cobblestone bottom structure continues to extend from the shore drop off to about the middle of the bowl at this end of the pond.

The south side of the pond has some over hanging trees that can be a nuisance if you are fishing the east end of the pond.

The west side (route 9) has less instances of over hanging trees.

Because the foot path around the pond is level and well maintained this pond is an excellent place for fishermen or women who are in a wheelchair.

(Edit: typo correction)

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Do they stock it with trout?

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 am

As a matter of fact they do. I caught my first trout ever out of Brookline Res.

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Sweet thanks for the info i might head over there now or next weekend. any tips?

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah watch out for pedestrians. Try float fishing your favorite trout bait. I prefer Berkeley powerbait honey worms. Bluefox minnow spin rainbow trout color.

Although it is a ridicules place to attempt to cast a fly line I have had good luck casting wooley buggers and catching fish.

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for the advice ill try that out soon!

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 pm

hey i know a great place to pull out sunfish all day and the occasional pickerel. Its in Chelmsford. email me if you're interested spin782@aim.com

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links