I needed to restring my Abu Silvermax baitcaster so I thought it would be a good time to graduate to braid. I put some #50 Berkeley braid on it and took it on a trial run at Ponki yesterday. Can you say "birds nest"? I mean over and over again. Thankfully I was able to get them all untangled.

I have not had problems with #17 mono and I know how to adjust the brake on my reel (I own three baitcasters for god's sake) but this was ridiculous. I was eventually able to get the adjustment working reasonably well but I will be living in constant fear of another backlash for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by berkleegrad on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:24 am

STEP #1 THROW AWAY THE BERKLEY BRAID .
STEP#2 GET SOME POWER PRO.
STEP 3 ENJOY! LOL.......... IMO

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:37 am

im looking into using baitcasters how is the silvermax?

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am

I had trouble with the power pro. Got a backlash that I had to cut out. I use spiderwire and it casts really smooth

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am

I use power pro, not too many backlashes but the problem I run into is the line cuts into the spool when reeling into any weight

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 am

I've been using Powerpro and I really like it. I do get the occasional nest but they aren't usually that bad and 99% of the time they are easy to undo.

Since I've switched to braid it's hard to go back to anything else because the sensitivity is out of control.

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:31 am

Well I'm bringing it to the tourney tomorrow. I just hope I don't spend more time untangling nests than I do catching fish

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 am

Braid blacklashes are the worst. Pin down the brakes to start off, until you get use to it. Its also helps to use a line conditioner, I use Reel Magic. It helps a lot. Coats the line make it come off easier. I give a few squirts when I am putting on the line in the beginning. And then give a few sprays a few hours before I go fishing.

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links