Im thinking about taking my 18ft lund aluminum boat in boston harbor this spring for some flounder and stripers. Does anyone have any experience with aluminium boat in saltwater. I just wanna make sure i dont destroy my boat. Also is the charles river freshwater once you go up the river a few miles. I was looking for a freshwater launch so I dont have to worry about the trailer going in the salt and my boat will get a nice freshwater rinse on the way back to the launch.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25 am

Not sure about the effects of the salt on your boat but I know there is a boat launch in Brighton. Not sure if there is one further up or not.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 am

There's a launch in Medford. My buddy did this a few years ago. Launched in Medford and followed the Charles into the harbor. It took forever as most of the way is a no wake zone (I think). I wasn't with him but he had to find gas somewhere because he was running out

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 am

Medford doesnt look like to bad of a run to the harbor. Is the water there fteshwater.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

might be brackish

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I guess i will have to go there and take a drink of the water lol. If its salty then i guess its not freshwater lol.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Gross!!!! LOL There must be another way.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 pm

I have an 18 1/2 foot Lund Fisherman. I have launched in the Charles, in the Mystic (behind the Wellington T station, and at Winthrop. I have only used the boat a few times in salt water since buying it in 2002. I like the idea of launching in the Charles because you travel through so much fresh water on the way back to the ramp. The only problem is that it is a very long trip because it is a no wake zone the entire way. The rowing teams from Harvard & MIT think they own the entire river and are very vocal about it. The Mystic is a lot quicker but I'm not really sure about the salt versus fresh water. I would guess that it would be mostly fresh if you launched at low tide and mostly salt if you launched during high tide. Also, there is a speed limit in most of the harbor so that too, can be a long ride. Winthrop is the shortest trip but you are dealing with all salt water and, depending on the tide, may have the wheels of your tow vehicle get into the salt water. No matter what you choose, I would thoroughly rinse the boat, motor and trailer after using it in salt water. I usually stop on the way back at the CT river ( I live in western mass) and if the ramp is not busy will dunk the whole boat and trailer in the water and run the engine. I have not had an issue with rust except that which can be expected for a 10 year old trailer which is not galvanized. My boat and motor are fine and show no indication of having been used in salt water.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 pm

I have launched my old aluminum in salt. No worries.
the motor is more concerning. But a few times shouldn't bother anything,Just flush with fresh water asap.
All will be good

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys. I should of put this in my orginal post bit the reason i want to do a fresh water launch was because i have a steel trailer and dont feel like dropping money on an galvanized trailer. I am afraid the saltwater will destroy the trailer and go on 400 mile roadtrips a few times a year with it so I dont wanna take any chances with the trailer.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:31 pm

A concise Article on Understanding "Galvanic Corrosion" for your review.

Galvanic Corrosion

Noble metals are those that are chemically inert when it comes to oxygen: they don't rust. Most metals have a certain degree of nobility, from graphite and platinum on the "most noble" end of the scale to magnesium and zinc on the "least noble" end of a list of metals called the "Galvanic Series." When two dissimilar metals, like bronze and aluminum, are in close proximity to each other in an electrolyte, like saltwater, a weak wet cell battery is formed. An electrical current flows from the less noble metal, the aluminum boat hull, to the more noble metal, like a stainless steel propeller shaft or an outboard motor's steel lower unit. This flow corrodes the less noble metal.

Metals Less Noble than Aluminum

The lowest two of the bottom three metals on the Galvanic Series are magnesium and zinc. Third from the bottom is aluminum. This means that if you have an aluminum boat in salt water and that boat has an outboard motor, an electrical current will form between the the outboard and the aluminum hull of the boat. The instant that current begins to form, galvanic corrosion begins. Since the steel is more noble than the aluminum boat, the aluminum will begin to corrode.

Read more: The Effects of Saltwater on Aluminum Boats | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8568042_effects-saltwater-aluminum-boats.html#ixzz2IVmzhKsT

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:53 am

Great info Pirogue Joe, I went to the website you mentioned and they have a lot of useful information. Going to be using my boat more in salt this year and will look into installation of a zinc anode somewhere on the hull. Just emailed the company for more info.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 am

good article but "steel lower" units? I cant think of a single outboard that has a steel lower unit. Im thinking the only part of an outboard that might be steel is the mounting bracket but for some reason i think that is aluminum to. Which leads me to question will a electrical current still form if there isnt any steel in the outboard. Also if your boat is painted were the outboard meets the hull would the current still flow through the paint.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am

I emailed the company with some questions. I will post what I find out. They are closed weekends but expect to hear back from them next week some time. Seeing as how I trailer my boat and do not moor it in sale it may not even be an issue.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:04 am

i was thinking the same thing. If i pull the boat and wash it im not sure if zincs are even needed. I have a lund pro v that I got a great deal on and I would hate for the salt to destroy it. On a side note from the other post about walleye fishing the conn. river can you eat the fish out of it and where is the general area you launch from. Im considering going out there is the spring/summer. I need to get into some fish I can eat.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links