So my friend and i want to go fishing for eels (to change things up a bit) but I really have no idea on how to catch them, or where. Can anybody help?? I was thinking if we do catch some using them for live striper bait. Thanks!!

Posted Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 am

right... so fishing for eels is much like fishing for bullhead (catfish) baits like worms dead shiners or minnows raw or cooked hamburger and apparently chicken liver works really well...i have no idea where you would get that though. so thats for bait. the rigging is just like for a bullhead. what i do is put a sliding wait on the mainline and then tie a swivel on to stop the weight on the swivel put on a hook between the sizes of 6 and 2. this accommodates for their small mouths. now as for where to fish i don't know exact locations however i do know that they only go to the sea to spawn so if your fishing from shore your best bet would probably be streams rivers ponds etc that are connected to the ocean. I'm not from around the plymouth area, I'm from around lowell so the only place I've ever caught eel are in the Merrimack when going for carp. all the eels that I've been able to catch have been pretty big, too big for striper bait. I'm pretty sure to catch eels for bait you'd be much better off with a trap of some sorts. now if your primary goal is to fish for stripers i happen to know for a fact that the mackerel are still in cape cod bay i just got home not 5 minutes ago from a trip out there. within about a half hour we had about a dozen mackerel. so while they aren't in total abundance they are their. if you don't have a boat however I've seen people catch them off the jeti at the mouth of the canal. I'm pretty sue they were just tossing sabiki rigs out there and they'd get one or two every once and a while. they were putting them in a large tote filled with water...they didn't seem to be using them for bait though i think they were going to eat them (excuse me while i go gag) so you could easily live line one of those out there with a balloon from that same location. i caught two keeper stripers just about 50 yards from that jeti just today live lining macks. i was from a boat so i don't know if it would work the same. good luck out there!!!

Posted Thu May 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Posted Thu May 31, 2012 8:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links