Got out for a couple hours in the afternoon between family obligations. Didn't fish prime hours, 2pm-4pm, but it was still nice to get out and make some casts after about 3 weeks of not fishing. Was fishing over in Lynn, on the north shore and the weather here was cold, gusty, and not a cloud in the sky. Fished from shore so no water temp. Anyway, fished a few of the usual spots from shore without a single bite. I'm not a fan of the high pressure days, seems to turn the fish off, which is common knowledge. I started fishing with a Mepps Black Fury, also used a Husky Jerk, and a Wobbling spoon. The most action I got was seeing a school of yearling bass follow my lure back to shore before darting away.

Not a fan of soaking powerbait for new stocked trout, although when my girlfriend and her parent's stopped by with her niece and nephew, I tried the power eggs on the bottom for about ten minutes before we went out to eat. Anyone have any recommendations for spots East of 95? I would like to get over to the Ipswich River in Topsfield by Bradley Palmer. I'm more interested in wild, native trout, or places with capacity for holdovers that had a chance to grow a little. Would be interested in meeting up for a trip if I can find some time.

-Joe

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 am

I was out in the yak torturing myself on Ponkapoag yesterday for about 4 hours. Only one non-legal bass and 4 or five small pickerel. It would have been a nice day on the water but for the wind which was blowing a steady 10 MPH with gusts to 20 MPH making a real challenge for boating and for casting. I did catch my first ever fish on a drop shot rig (a pickerel of course).

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:20 am

Yeah the wind was tough yesterday. congrats on catching one on a drop shot. I think on a day like yesterday, that would be a great technique since most fish were probably hugging botoom with lock jaw.

got out on ponkapog once this year, first trip with the canoe. it was a horrible day, rained the entire time, windy, caught a couple fish though. ever get anything big bass there?

I see youre posts about monster picks, and ppl can say what they want but I think Pickerel are a great sportfish. Of course in a tournament they wouldnt be fun to catch, but other than that, I think they're a blast to catch, Mini Pike.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 am

I fished the Lower Basin on the Charles after work for an hour and a half. Got 4 between 1.5 and 2.5. But in hindsight I should have went home, Im sick and got a parking ticket Evil or Very Mad

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 am

Yep. Look at my last trip.
There was ice forming on the rod tip

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 am

thought it was a bass forum not trout

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 am

JWO, there are good bass in Ponki, many 3-5 lbs along with those monster pickerel (which I too love to catch).

thelucky, I guess you weren't so lucky yesterday. Sorry.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:32 am

Been crushing the trout, LM bass and white perch at Sluice Pond in Lynn but I'm in a boat. Mostly troll for the trout but at times the bass are too thick. I find the AM better in that pond than the PM...

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Nauti, I just got home from fishing sluice. I fished the far end, furthest away from the ramp for about a half hour with no takers except for a minnow sized Bass. I then drove over to the ramp and fished there for another 30-40 minutes and hooked up with a couple small perch. No trout, Salmon, or decent sized Bass. It was good to get out though. Stopped by Brown's Pond in Peabody on the way home and caught a pickerel.

Do you fish in Lynn often? I have been fishing Sluice and Flax for the past 14 years or so.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Been fishing it for the last 50 years; Spring and Fall. I target the trout but use a boat as gives more access. You are somewhat limited on shore. The 4 Winds area (opposite the ramp) I found best in the Spring. Have you fished the wall on Lynnfield Street opposite the cemetery? You can park at the K of C and fish that whole wall. Its gets pretty deep at the ramp due to dredging a few years ago and then gets shallower along that wall. There's also public access near Haywood's restaurant but seen mostly trout caught there.

Another good pond for bass is Flax Pond. Drop in to Ippy's Bait in Wyoma Square (Lynn); am sure she can give you places to try as that pond has a lot more shore access.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Been fishing it for the last 50 years; Spring and Fall. I target the trout but use a boat as gives more access. You are somewhat limited on shore. The 4 Winds area (opposite the ramp) I found best in the Spring. Have you fished the wall on Lynnfield Street opposite the cemetery? You can park at the K of C and fish that whole wall. Its gets pretty deep at the ramp due to dredging a few years ago and then gets shallower along that wall. There's also public access near Haywood's restaurant but seen mostly trout caught there.

Another good pond for bass is Flax Pond. Drop in to Ippy's Bait in Wyoma Square (Lynn); am sure she can give you places to try as that pond has a lot more shore access.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah Ive fished all the accessible shore spots on Sluice. Never had luck near the 4 Winds. Not a fan of the wall behind the K of C because I find it hard to properly fish lures standing 8' above the water. There's a small sandy beach you can cast from if you want to jump down off the wall, but it's too much of a hassle. I do like fishing behind Hayward's. I've caught most of my Salmon there, but the water seems to have risen over the past few years. You used to be able to walk down and fish from shore but now the water comes right to the wall. All in all, I do like fishing Sluice, its just tough due to the limited shore access.

It seems like sinces they treated Flax Pond for "invasive weeds" several years ago, the fishing hasn't been nearly as good as I remember when I was younger. I used to be able to go to that little cove by the gas station on Chesnut Street and catch at least a couple bass on a spinnerbait or a plastic. There used to be lush lily pads around that entire shoreline, now there's only a few sad patches left. I did catch a few bass this year around said shoreline and behind the basketball courts. I'm sure the bass population is still probably good, but I'm sure due to the kill off of all that cover, they have just found different places to feed and seek shelter.

I've fished these ponds growing up since I've been 12. Although I still go back to them throughout the year, I've been trying to venture out a little and find new ponds to fish. This year I've tried Upper Mystic, Spy, Ponkapog, and the Charles River stretch in Waltham.

I have found over the years that Sluice and Flax are both decent fisheries considering they are both small Urban ponds, but without a boat they are tough to fish, as any body of water is. You're limited to a few fishable spots, and if they fish arent there, tough luck. I plan on getting out on both next season with a small boat and hopefully a sonar to see what they both fully have to offer. Sluice is a great pond because on the western side, the water is 15' or less which gives all the warm water fish a places to thrive during the warm months, and on the estern side further away from the ramp, the water gets as deep as 60+' providing plenty of cool water during the summer to support holdover trout and salmon. And I have proof of this where one year I saw a huge rainbow trout swimming along the shore, easliy 20" long and probably 5lbs.

If you ever have some room on your boat send me as message. I'll pick up some lunch. I'm always willing to get out and fish as long as I have the time between working and being a Dad, which doesn't leave much time as many who have been in my situation probably already know.

-Joe

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:36 pm

You got it covered. Coves of Sluice are getting pretty weeded in; they have not had funding last few years to herbicide. Have you tried/fished the various reservoirs? Be sure to check the legalites but they were always better bass and pickeral fishing...

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:44 pm

And will give you a shout when I have an empty seat...

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links