I have a bad back - a REALLY bad back - I had anterior-posterior spinal fusion surgery w/hardware(my back x-ray looks like it was taken in Home Depot! LOL), which resulted in my becoming permanently disabled. I use a cane 90% of the time, and can usually only go fishing for an hour or 2 at a time before I have to stop.

would fishing from a kayak even be feasible for me?

I've never even been in one before. Years ago I used to float tube alot, and have canoed a few times...

Question Question Question

thanks in advance,

Tony

Posted Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:13 am

tony kayak fishing is my addiction.i love it.but if you have that bad of a back.you will have to try it.sitting in a kayak all day.bothers those without a bad back somtimes.the only thing you can do is try it out.they have different types.sit in kayaks and sit on top kayaks try them both.mybe when spring gets here in a short time i hope.the kayak places around have demo days where you can try them out.if not i know someplace that does.charles river canoe and kayak in newton ma.there you can try many different kayaks.in one place and decide what you like.you do'nt have to buy it.try them out find what you like then shop for the best price. good luck.

Posted Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:11 pm

thanks for the reply, Bob.

Posted Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:44 pm

i agree with bob, and some kayaks these days are very comfertable,it just depends on how much you want to get out there. I have fybromyalgea, and still muscle through the discomfert somtimes. hope you can join the kayak angler ranks!

Posted Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 am

thank you, Mike. I used to have a wicked nice Browning float tube years ago and had amazing success with it. It's soooo stealthy, I caught a fish literally only 4 feet in front of me once! I've always wanted to try a kayak, but just never have...

sorry to hear you're having problems too. But at the same time, it's kinda nice to know that I'm not the only one... sometimes, one gets really down on oneself about this stuff, even though there's nothing that can be done about it. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Posted Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm

you got that right! i am so sore after only a few hours out but for some reson i cant pack it up(i wonder why?) LOL. we're a rare breed, we wont ever admit how much we hurt, yet do all in our power to make it hurt. hope you can find a why around it! maybe you could get a prowler or bass hunter? they seem like they would be better for you, plus they are pretty stealthy also. the only thing you would need is a trailer to back it right to the water so its easier on the back. hope to hear that you get somthing of this type so you can get to the most knarly frog spots!
MIKE H

Posted Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links