Hi guys. I recently got a bass pro qualifier baitcast reel for Xmas. Been using spinning gear for years. I've practiced enough with it enough that I don't get birds nests too much anymore. However my casts aren't going very far!!! Maybe 25-30 ft tops! I've only got 2/6 brakes on and the tension spool perfectly adjusted. I've been practicing with a Weightless YUM lizard. I feel like I can cast the same bait with my spinning reels much farther. Is it just the nature of bait casters or the facts I'm throwing the lizard weightless that the casts aren't going as far?

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 pm

It seems like you have the reel dialed in. Your casting distance will also depends on the type and test of your line, rod type, length, and action.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:29 pm

i agree with the what the last guy said. most likely your throwing a lure that is too light. bait casting set ups are usually for a heavier lure don't get me wrong i can and will through some baits weightless on bait casting gear but the rod line and reel are specific to that set up. example i wouldn't cast a weightless senko, worm or w.e on say my frog rod which is 7ft 3in medium heavy rod with 50-65lb braid and a high speed reel, my more finesse style bait casting set up would be a set up as followed 6ft 10in to 7ft medium rod with 10-12lb fluro and a smaller to normal size reel in a 6:4.1 gear ratio

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm throwing it on a 7ft MH rod and using a 6.4 with just 12 lb mono. I had the guy throw on just the cheapest mono to practice with.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:38 pm

the rod is probably throwing you off also when u push the spool button does the lure fall fast or slow i generally like my stuff to fall pretty fast but I've been using bait casting gear for 10+ years so its all in the thumb for a beginner id say a rate of fall in between fast and slow. try taking a old 1/2oz to 3/8 oz jig and try that its always easier to cast something with some weight than something thats light hope this helps also i might add my good friend Neil Dootson owns Dark Side Reelz, he's a reel maintenance and repairman per say and i know for a fact he can take your 100$ bps pro qualifier and make it into a 300$+ reel. he does amazing work check him out www.darksidereelz.com his videos on youtube are insane i guarantee you've never seen reels work like they do after he works his magic hope this helps and pray for the ice to melt!!! tight lines!

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:44 pm

Not sure what you mean. Cool website.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:54 pm

where did i lose ya lol?

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 am

Good to see u using baitcasters.. how ever, if ur throwing hard an only goin 30 feet, it's ur line. Way to heavy for set up, or drags a Lil sticky, or ur thuming the line an don't realize it.. rule them all out, an ur on ur way to tossing as far as u want

Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:30 pm

I'd say it's going to be asking too much of that reel to throw weightless lizards with 12# test. That reel has a good sized heavy spool.
A reel with a small lightweight spool will be better for throwing weightless baits.

I am a Shimano guy and the 50 sized reels they offer will do the job better.

Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Yes I was throwing spinners today and it performed much better.

Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:46 pm

whatever everyone else said is all true... weight of the lure, action of the rod etc will all effect distance. Neil at Dark Side Reelz can tune that thing beyond imagination... they usually come PACKED with grease which will also effect distance. I would just continue with what youre doing and just play around with it. Im usually throwing my weightless worms and stuff on spinning gear and use my casting gear for jigs, texas or caroline rigs etc. good luck with it!!

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks guys. Ya I was practicing with weightless soft plastics because I heard it was the hardest to throw on a baitcaster, so I figured if I learned to throw the hardest lure first, anything after that would come easier. It worked, I had no problem throwing my spinnerbait a mile yesterday.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:46 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links