Hi everyone! First time here, looking for a couple good places to do some bass fishing with my 6 yr old on the south shore area. Would be shore-based only. Hanover, hingham, norwell, etc. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Hey anglerandson,

It's a bit of a ride compared to where you want to fish, but I'd recommend driving south to Plymouth to Long Pond. The pond is stocked with trout, so you have a chance of getting a bass or trout. I personally haven't fished the Hanover area, but I think the Plymouth area will be worth the drive.

I went to Long Pond last weekend and didn't have any luck from the boat. The fish were being elusive for sure. I spoke with a fisherman on the shore by the boat launch and he landed a trout during the early afternoon. Wish you guys luck out on the water, tight lines!!

The Frogman

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:10 am

bassbait

Hey anglerandson,

It's a bit of a ride compared to where you want to fish, but I'd recommend driving south to Plymouth to Long Pond. The pond is stocked with trout, so you have a chance of getting a bass or trout. I personally haven't fished the Hanover area, but I think the Plymouth area will be worth the drive.

I went to Long Pond last weekend and didn't have any luck from the boat. The fish were being elusive for sure. I spoke with a fisherman on the shore by the boat launch and he landed a trout during the early afternoon. Wish you guys luck out on the water, tight lines!!

The Frogman

Thanks Frogman! We'll have to take a drive down and check it out!

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:03 pm

Anytime. Aaron River Reservoir (Cohasset) looks decent as well. I've never fished there, but based on the mapping it looks like it has some decent secondary points to fish from when fishing for bass and more shoreline than Long Pond to fish from as well. Good luck!!

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Aaron River Res and Long Pond are not very good shore-fishing spots. Hell, Long Pond is extremely tough to fish from a boat.

Best way to find spots is, as always, to explore and discover them on your own. Jump on Google Earth, pick a spot, and give it a go. =)

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 pm

Yea Kenwood, Long Pond was certainly tough boat fishing a few weekends ago for sure, but there were plenty of people fishing from the boat launch shore line (waders and from shore six feet apart of course) catching trout in the afternoon. I'm glad they had luck. I still enjoyed the trip, a day on the water is better than staying home.

I've personally never fished the Aaron River Reservoir, have you fished near the Wompatuck entrance by Beechwood Street? Looked promising on google maps with the rip rap and the point on the east side along the shore. Tight lines!!

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:01 am

Blue Hills Reservoir in Quincy is a good pick, on Chickatawbut Road. Easiest access is from Granite Street in Braintree. I caught a 4 pound 11 ounce large mouth there in April 2016.

Whitman's pond in Weymouth has some bank access. Parking's tough along route 53. There's plenty of parking at the boat ramp on Lake Street.

Jacob's pond in Norwell has pretty good shore access. It's very shallow and is weedy by May.

Aaron Reservoir (Wampatuck State Park) has some shore access. It's a hike within the park, but you can access the rip rap bank from Beechwood Street in Cohasett.

Also in Plymouth is Little Pond. It's in Morton Park. It's stocked with trout and has decent bass. There are three beaches you can fish from. Non-Plymouth residents pay $20/day between Memorial and Labor Day.

Luddham's Ford Park in Hanover is another option. It's off Elm st, just about where Elm turns to West Elm.

Hope this helps, have a great time, and good luck.

Posted Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:30 pm

dogbone_384

Blue Hills Reservoir in Quincy is a good pick, on Chickatawbut Road. Easiest access is from Granite Street in Braintree. I caught a 4 pound 11 ounce large mouth there in April 2016.

Whitman's pond in Weymouth has some bank access. Parking's tough along route 53. There's plenty of parking at the boat ramp on Lake Street.

Jacob's pond in Norwell has pretty good shore access. It's very shallow and is weedy by May.

Aaron Reservoir (Wampatuck State Park) has some shore access. It's a hike within the park, but you can access the rip rap bank from Beechwood Street in Cohasett.

Also in Plymouth is Little Pond. It's in Morton Park. It's stocked with trout and has decent bass. There are three beaches you can fish from. Non-Plymouth residents pay $20/day between Memorial and Labor Day.

Luddham's Ford Park in Hanover is another option. It's off Elm st, just about where Elm turns to West Elm.

Hope this helps, have a great time, and good luck.

Thanks Dogbone! Appreciate the tips!

Posted Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links